macro extension tube?

sonia718

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi...I have a Canon Rebel XSI. I'm not a serious photographer,but LOVE taking pictures!! I was wondering if there was any screw on type Macro lens or extension tube(?) for my camera? I just cannot afford a real macro lens. Any advise would be appreciated!!! thank you ! Sonia:confused:

Hi...I have a Canon Rebel XSI. I'm not a serious photographer,but LOVE taking pictures!! I was wondering if there was any screw on type Macro lens or extension tube(?) for my camera? I just cannot afford a real macro lens. Any advise would be appreciated!!! thank you ! Sonia:confused:
Yes, there are options. There are a few different manufacturers of extension tubes. Canon tubes are pricey, but they're most likely to play nice with your lenses. I have heard good things about Kenko tubes working well with Canon cameras. Kenko tubes are substantially less expensive.

Canon tubes:
Canon | Extension Tube EF 12 II | 9198A001 | B&H Photo Video
Canon | Extension Tube EF 25 II | 9199A001 | B&H Photo Video

Kenko tubes:

Kenko | Auto Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS | AEXTUBEDGC

There are also screw-on close up filters. Here's a set I pulled up at B&H:
Hoya | 67mm Close-up Kit (+1,+2,+4) Lens | B67CUS | B&H Photo

That's just the first set I came across. There are other sets by different manufacturers, and with different strengths. They can also be stacked for greater magnification.

Nothing will completely substitute a real macro lens, but either of these options will be the next best thing.

Hope that helps.....

Extension tubes I believe are the best option as they have no glass in them to affect the shot. Those "filters" you put on the end affect the shot. Especially the less expensive ones that are designed as a "fit all" type attachment. They are not specifically engineered for a particular lens. Just a filter attachment size.

The extension tubes move the lens further from the Sensor on the camera. Thus allowing you to move the lens closer to the subject and still focus. Basically they let you focus closer to the subject than the lens is capable of doing on its own. By getting closer the item will be larger on the sensor.

Not much to go wrong with tubes. Just a mount and some electrical contacts. You can use the "tubes" in any combination. Stack them all for the largest magnification effect.

There is no need to double-post. I replied to your other post on the same question.

Okay..I have a headache trying to read about all of these macro lens & extension tubes. If I buy one of these Canon tubes:
Canon | Extension Tube EF 12 II | 9198A001 | B&H Photo Video
Canon | Extension Tube EF 25 II | 9199A001 | B&H Photo Video
Will it be able to auto focus? I'm so new to all of this...I always use auto mode. When my 3 year old gets older I will have more time to learn...right now I just want to be able to get up close with some bugs & flowers!!! It says I can't post an attachment?? So does that mean I can't put any pictures on here? I have a canon rebel xsi 12.2 mp with a 18-55 mm IS lens and a 55-250 IS lens. Which extension would be best for me? Thank you all so much...I feel like you are all so professional I hate to even be asking such stupid questions.
this is as close as I can get???
IMG_2738-1.jpg

Last edited:
1st off Avoid the canon extensio tubes - DON't GET THEM ;)
Simply put all they are is an extension with no optical components (no glass) and electrical contacts and the canon prices on them are very high. Instead get yourself a set of Kenko AF extension tubes for canon (check that last part as they make stuff for other brands as well)(make sure they are the AF sort). Then you will get a set of 3 tubes for about the same price as 1 canon tube and since they only add air the optical quality is exactly the same for both.

Typically you use tubes with shorter focal range lenses, since the rough math is that if you equal your focal length with tube length you will get a boost to around 1:1 macro - so 50mm or tubes for a 50mm lens for example. Clearly you can see that with longer lenses, whilst you will get an increase in magnification it won't be as great unless you start adding a lot of tubes.

I would also recomend looking at the Raynox DCR 250 it is one of these macro diopters - so it is a lens (glass) which attaches onto the front of your current lens by using the filter thread. It works the same way as tubes, but by using glass instead of moving the lens away from the camera.
The raynox range have become very popular with macro shooters as they are surprising high quality, for little cost and their image quliaty can be very close to the same effects using tubes (noting that tubes do cause some image degradatin, but not very much unless you are adding silly amounts).

I looked on amazon for the raynox dcr 250......I'm really liking this..but I'm not sure it will fit my camera? It is a snap on lens.:confused:

kinda - the actual lens itself has a thread size, but its very small. So they ship it with a universal clip - the diopter screws into the clip which then clips into the screw thread on a lens. It will fit a range of lenses and will attach to most kit lenses, and if your screw thread is the wrong size you can order stepup and stepdown rings which will epand what you can fit on.

Canon makes a screw on macro attachment. I think the model #s are 250D & 500D. They are recommended in a Brian Peterson video.

Most reactions

Back