Macro Filter Set or Macro Extension Tube Set?

Which replacement macro glass option?

• Macro Filter Set

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Macro Extension Tube Set

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

eighthoursbehind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings,

I have recently purchased a Canon Rebel T3i. Until I raise the funds for a decent macro glass I was looking at the items linked below to use as a stop gap. Would any helpful members be able to recommend the one that would give me the best options for insect/flower shots? Would you suggest both?

Amazon.com: Digital Concepts 1 2 4 10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (58mm): Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Set Kit for Extreme Close-up, fits Canon EOS 1d,1ds,Mark II, III, IV, 5D, Mark II, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, Digital Rebel xt, xti, xs, xsi, t1i, t2i, t3, t3i, 450D, 500D, 550D, 1000D, 1100D

Regards,

Mark

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just get a reversing ring. It is the cheapest solution and you can get results that, in a photo, are indistinguishable from a quality macro lens. The extension tubes you linked will likely have a lot of slop in them and the filter you linked will likely adversely effect your IQ.

For reference, most of these were taken with a standard 28mm lens with a reversing ring and nothing else (except flash): http://thomasshahan.com/photos

Greetings,

I have recently purchased a Canon Rebel T3i. Until I raise the funds for a decent macro glass I was looking at the items linked below to use as a stop gap. Would any helpful members be able to recommend the one that would give me the best options for insect/flower shots? Would you suggest both?

Amazon.com: Digital Concepts 1 2 4 10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch (58mm): Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Set Kit for Extreme Close-up, fits Canon EOS 1d,1ds,Mark II, III, IV, 5D, Mark II, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, Digital Rebel xt, xti, xs, xsi, t1i, t2i, t3, t3i, 450D, 500D, 550D, 1000D, 1100D

Regards,

Mark

The macro filters are a JOKE! Bad Image Quailty. If you want something like that, check out the raynox DCr-250 Amazon.com: Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens: Electronics It works well!

Cheap Extension tubes are usually a mistake.. you are better off with the Kenkos! More money, but they work, and a lot less headaches! These will not let the lens talk to the body!

On your Poll? NEITHER.. except for the Raynox option!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tubes, all day long.

Boy...neither cheap tubes NOR cheap close-up filters are a good choice...both suck, especially for CANON users because your EF lenses have no external lens f/stop control ring, so you have to resort to awkward hacks, OR shooting things with the lens wide-open....ehhhh....

1) lens reversing ring, like charlie (cgipson) says....YES....good idea, for the most part. Cept for that damned Canon lens diaphragm control problem with all EF mount lenses...if OTOH you have a reversed lens thart HAS diaphragm control, that would be a plus.

2) A QUALITY, two-element achromatic close-up filter AKA close-up "lens" like a Canon 500D, or an old Nikon 5T or 6T close-up filter, AKA close-up "lens" would be good. Raynox makes some modern close-up lenses that thrread in like filters, and I have seen some GOOD to Excellent work done with Raynox gear...it's one of their real niches...

3) Kenko tubes. Saving the most-costly and best for last, this is what I would buy. DO NOT BUY those $10-$15 no-contact type of tubes if you plan on using a Canon EF-mount lens with them!!! Spend at LEAST the $50-$89 to get an extension ring or two that have electronic contacts. Adorama sells a house brand that's decent. Not as nice as Kenko, but affordably priced and WITH contacts, to control your Canon's aperture and metering system!!!!

Boy...neither cheap tubes NOR cheap close-up filters are a good choice...both suck, especially for CANON users because your EF lenses have no external lens f/stop control ring, so you have to resort to awkward hacks, OR shooting things with the lens wide-open....ehhhh....

1) lens reversing ring, like charlie (cgipson) says....YES....good idea, for the most part. Cept for that damned Canon lens diaphragm control problem with all EF mount lenses...if OTOH you have a reversed lens thart HAS diaphragm control, that would be a plus.

2) A QUALITY, two-element achromatic close-up filter AKA close-up "lens" like a Canon 500D, or an old Nikon 5T or 6T close-up filter, AKA close-up "lens" would be good. Raynox makes some modern close-up lenses that thrread in like filters, and I have seen some GOOD to Excellent work done with Raynox gear...it's one of their real niches...

3) Kenko tubes. Saving the most-costly and best for last, this is what I would buy. DO NOT BUY those $10-$15 no-contact type of tubes if you plan on using a Canon EF-mount lens with them!!! Spend at LEAST the $50-$89 to get an extension ring or two that have electronic contacts. Adorama sells a house brand that's decent. Not as nice as Kenko, but affordably priced and WITH contacts, to control your Canon's aperture and metering system!!!!

Good call, Derrel! Not knowing Canon lenses, I wasn't sure about mentioning the lack of a aperture ring and how those lenses (like the Nikon G lenses) are affected by these cheap tubes! Almost totally non-functional!

Nice thing about the Raynox... you keep full functionality! At a price way below decent tubes!

I never saw Charlie mention a reversing ring. An easy fix to this is to simply set your aperture with the lens attached correctly. Then hold down the DOF Preview button and while holding DOF Preview button, remove the lens. Now your lens is set to the correct aperture. If you don't like that, as you pointed out ANY lens with a manual diaphragm can be used with a reversing ring and some can be had for VERY cheap. It's much cheaper than the $175 kenko tubes (which I didn't really like all that much) and the results will be just as good if not better.

I never saw Charlie mention a reversing ring. An easy fix to this is to simply set your aperture with the lens attached correctly. Then hold down the DOF Preview button and while holding DOF Preview button, remove the lens. Now your lens is set to the correct aperture. If you don't like that, as you pointed out ANY lens with a manual diaphragm can be used with a reversing ring and some can be had for VERY cheap. It's much cheaper than the $175 kenko tubes (which I didn't really like all that much) and the results will be just as good if not better.

It wasn't me.. it was you! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back