makeshift film

I'd love to do some stuff with glass plates... I found this guy the other day who's been making his own gelatine coated plates with amazing results.

Also, to the person above who said you can't get detail with homemade pinholes???

(film canister camera)

and

(biscuit tin camera)

:)

Yeah, that second photo looks full of fine detail and texture. I have a friend who does a lot of pinhole photography, and he makes his own cameras and pinholes for them. I've heard him complain that a newly made pinhole was too sharp, and he'd mess with it some to get it to be softer.

i should of perhaps mentioned that all the pinhole stuff I do (inc those 2 pics above) is using ordinary multi-grade paper, and so long as the camera is steady, i've never had an issue with sharpness...

(this isn't meant to sound nit-picky - i just want to make sure people don't write-off paper negs!!!)

I shoot paper negs everyday as well.... I have never had a sharp issue but they wont capture as much detail as film. they are a bit smoother by the nature of the media. That my opinion, but I'll tell you what. I am always set up for studio shots.

I can make a shot of each. one paper one film exactly the same lighting and camera the same fstop even of course the times will vary.

Now is that an offer you cant refuse or what?

scans is probably fairest so long as they're both at the same resolution... but i dunno much about the digital end of photography it must be said :p

It wouldn't really be fair for me to do one of the images as all my pinholes are... well... biscuit tins and not comparable to an kind of camera body!!

then with your permission of course it will be 4x5 paper and film negatives scanned at 1200 dpi. Then reduced to a size I can work with to get them to the net.

F 16 or higher depending on what i can work out for both. (I shoot a home built 4x5 with a antigue lens. Trying to find an aperture shutter speed for both might be a bit of a hassle but I will use the same aperture for both.

Tripod of course...

Both developed to approximately the same density. I do it in a tank so there will be some differences. but i will keep it to a minimum.

Now do you have a particular subject you would like?

Im thinking a ceramic turkey with textured surface for the feathers.

Mmm, what a menu! Paper & emulsion, formed glass, small mechanical parts, light, chemistry, and a ceramic turkey!

This is interesting to me. I shall have to devise a way to load a strip of paper into my AE-1. Then, I can enlarge it and we can examine grain in fine detail.

I, however, lack a proper turkey. I suppose I'll just have to find something appropriate. Hmm....

[EDIT]
Actually, I'm approaching the end of a roll of Tri-X in my main camera... For the last frame, I'll shoot a tabletop scene, then promptly load in a "stick" of paper. Or, perhaps just wait until I can procure more TMax 100... I'm more familiar with it, and it's a better standard test bed, I believe...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back