Making old from New

macawlvr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was trying to get that old photograph look..​

Funny how we want some photos we have that are old to look new and new photo's to look old.

Thanks for looking!
6105-olddowntown.jpg

The tint does help it to look old...but that frame is ruining the old effect.

Big Mike said:
The tint does help it to look old...but that frame is ruining the old effect.

What kind of frame if any would you suggest Mike?
And thanks for the feedback :)

Perhaps a simple, thin white (off white) frame. That seems to be fairly common for older photos.

Or you could go for the battered old print look...by making the edges look bent, torn, burned etc.

Big Mike said:
Perhaps a simple, thin white (off white) frame. That seems to be fairly common for older photos.

Or you could go for the battered old print look...by making the edges look bent, torn, burned etc.

I decided just the off white like you suggested would be good, later on I'll experiment with the torn old brown edges. Thanks for your input :)

6105-olddowntown2.jpg

Rahb said:
what method did you use to get the aged amber tent...

It was originally in color..

1. I desaturated
2. Adjust the Shadows/highlights...till you get it the darkness you want it.
3. I adjusted the Photo Filter color to a little warmer color, more like a sepia but not that brown(this is your own taste and eye)...
4. I also played with the exposer some.

It's really all a matter of what you think looks good, then posting it and letting others on here help you with their ideas..

Hope I've been a little bit of help :)

Mike, you're not only Big and Mike, but you're pretty smart as well. When I first saw the pic, I thought, yea this is a great shot and all,but it doesn't look very old. When I scrolled down and saw it with the plain white (off-white, sorry :) ) frame, I thought Wow what a difference.

OK, 'nuff praising Mike...it's not his pic.

I really like the picture and I like the PS work you've done with it. I assume you used PS...which filter color did you use (I have Elements and some of the colors have numbers attached like 85 and 80--I think. I assume that these are standard colors...I used to work in the theatre and light gels are like that).

I really like the shot. I was wondering if you knew how, I see some people are able to put that crinkly look into their pics to make the pic look even older...I don't know how to do it, but if you did or if it was a preprogramed thing in PS, maybe that might help.

I hear dipping it in tea works also :lmao:

Anyway, I likes, and thanks for sharing!

jocose said:
Mike, you're not only Big and Mike, but you're pretty smart as well.

:blushing: Just glad to be of service.

My first thought was the frame hurt the old-time effect and then I read on... It is much better with the thinner plain frame. It's a great shot, nice compo, and good tones... Very nice job...

First off, thanks for all the nice comments about my photo, it was one of those shots where you're sitting at a red light and think, gee that would look nice as an oldie.
Second, never, never not offer advice or an idea to me, I am open to just about anything.
Third... if you want to try something different to one of my photo's help yourself. Only thing I ask is you tell me what you did so I can try it next time.

Hugggs to all :)

Trish,

Just wondering, did you do anything with the sky? The line where the roof meets the sky in the foreground looks very crisp...kind of like you cut out the sky or put a different one in? It could be my monitor, and it's not bad, I just keep looking at the line. If you did, you might want to try feathering. If you didn't...erm, well....never mind then :)

jocose said:
Trish,

Just wondering, did you do anything with the sky? The line where the roof meets the sky in the foreground looks very crisp...kind of like you cut out the sky or put a different one in? It could be my monitor, and it's not bad, I just keep looking at the line. If you did, you might want to try feathering. If you didn't...erm, well....never mind then :)

Hi There,

Nope I didn't do anything wit the sky, this shot is right from the camera, other than the steps I outlined in an earlier post..
Was wondering if anyone would care to see the original in color?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back