making walls photo sensitive

trancemammal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear Forum,
I was wondering if there is a way to make a wall photo sensitive so as to be able to print/expose directly on the surface of the wall? If this is possible what exactly do I need to treat the surface with and can I expose it with a digital projector using a negative image so as to get the positive on the surface of the wall? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice? I hope I'm posting this in the right place. o0o0o also would using a diffuser of sort blend the evident pixel-ation

Even if you could do that, how do you plan on developing that?

well i know little about photography and I'm not sure how liquid emulsion can be applied to a large surface to achieve the transfer but is it possible to apply it, the developer and fixer to the surface with a spray gun much like the ones used in air brushes or paint sprayers?

sounds like a mess. your better off getting a picture printed on long srips from a printer and then wallpaper gluing them up. If you get it printed on cheap paper and stuff it prob wouldnt be too expensive.

well i know little about photography and I'm not sure how liquid emulsion can be applied to a large surface to achieve the transfer but is it possible to apply it, the developer and fixer to the surface with a spray gun much like the ones used in air brushes or paint sprayers?
Possible, maybe (I don't know, I'll someone else chime in on that). But unless you're doing this on a concrete wall over a concrete floor, you're going to ruin both your wall and your floor.

yea i got a feeling that the acid in some of those chemicals or the base might cause the dry wall to crumble or the paint to come off your existing wall. please say what surface you are doing this on.

its going over lime (calcium hydroxide) based whitewash which is on a brick wall and I'm not worried about the wall or floor. its in a warehouse building thats about 70 years old and is being remodeled

You could definitely do it...but the chemicals would cost a fortune, you'd need TONNES of it.
Also, you'd have a huge problem with the fact you gotta collect all the chemical as it falls off the wall. Can't just pour it down the drain...

I don't think the spraygun would be the best idea, cause if you don't stop it fast enough, or don't get an even fix...then your photo is gonna look weird. Maybe firehoses? lol

1. Cover the wall in Liquid Emulsion. (Paint with paint rollers; paint as if it was normal wall paint, imo)
Q. Enlarge negative with enlarger laid on it's side (I've only seen one enlarger capable of covering an entire wall decently and that was this mammoth 8x10 enlarger)
3. Expose for desired time
17. Paint on developer with rollers.
5. Paint on stop bath.
65. Paint on fixer.
4. Paint water (or throw on with buckets) onto the wall repeatedly until wall/print is washed off.
h. Dry with enormous warehouse fans.
8. Enjoy crappy wall print.

:3

Make sure to do under a safelight!

This would cost an obscene amount of money.

And Doobs, for the record, you could not "paint on" developer or fixer.

Without any doubt this is a non starter with conventional developing methods.

That doesn't mean to say it's impossible, just maybe you'll have to find a different way or process to do it. Maybe making a print developing tank against the wall 1 inch deep with a collecting trough at the bottom? You'll still have the problem of uneven development though with the tank filling up from the bottom then draining to the bottom.

I dont think it is a good idea. That much chemical on any kind of wall/space would require a lot a prevention to keep it out of the ecosystem. And on a whitewash wall....those loose their finish with just plain water. Interesting idea though. How about doing a collage of inkjet transfer?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back