Mamiya 645 AFD or Contax 645

The likelihood of your Mamiya breaking is much higher than the Contax. I'll admit I'm biased, but come on - there is truth to this. At the same time, the Mamiyas go for peanuts, making them more disposable.

Honestly, though. I think you're getting so hung up on that extra stop that you're severely limiting your options.

Last edited:
If you can afford a Contax then get it.

If you don't like it then sell it and get your money back.

A tiny bit of larger aperture is no match for a tripod and if you really want a DoF that narrow you're going to have to use a tripod anyway.

Surprisingly i never use a tripod. And one stop is golden when you don't use flash. Plus there is a big difference between f2 and f2.8 on mf check out some side by side comparisons online. The shallower the depth of field the better as far as weddings go

I'm in the same dilemma considering either Mamiya 645 afd or Contax. I'm more geared towards Contax however worried of the future repairs and replacement parts. Anyone have any experience with problems in Contax so far?

If you need to depend on the camera then get the Mamiya because you can get another quickly or have yours repaired.

Contax is iffy because they aren't a lot of them being sold as the people who own them aren't letting them go. Also they are no longer being made.

IF you can afford the Contax and accessories and don't have to depend on it then by all means go for it. By all accounts it's a great camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back