Manual vs Automatic

Why all the questions from some asking "Why did you shoot in manual?". I think it's great that someone wants to learn something new! :boggled:

I was the first to respond to the OP and I started to question why he was making that switch because I wanted to help. The OP had just worked through another thread in which he had trouble with a photo because of the way the photo was lit (something that a change in exposure or exposure mode won't help). I had hoped to help him think through the rationale for the mode switch and make sure that he was making the change for a valid reason. He's fairly new using a DSLR and can be swayed by idiots who make nonsense claims like "you need to learn manual mode to take control of the camera" or "shoot in manual so as not to let the camera decide for you." Unfortunately the thread devolved.

Joe

P-easant mode! I only read the first page and assumed that it reflected the other 5.

The points people were trying to make is that the shooting mode doesnt matter so long as you understand what your camera is doing and why, how to control it or how/when to take control.

upload_2016-8-27_10-54-58.png

You disagreed here. Why do you think the OP was criticized for using Manual? I don't believe anyone here criticized him only trying M.

I believe people in the thread were criticized for using (P)rofessional mode.

Well, in my opinion, both Ysarex and 480Sparky's posts seem like they were critical of the poster. By the way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using (P)rofessional mode. :allteeth:

Well, in my opinion, both Ysarex and 480Sparky's posts seem like they were critical of the poster. By the way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using (P)rofessional mode. :allteeth:

I never got to follow up with the OP before the thread devolved and the OP abandoned it. My goal was to be helpful. If the OP believed that switching from auto to manual without altering the lighting would provide an advantage ( and I suspect he was making this error) then he was confused. I had hoped to talk him through that.

Joe

I wasn't critical of the OP.... just wondering why the OP felt the image needed to be shot in manual.

What I was 'critical' about was the claim (not by the OP) that manual is 'the only way' to shoot, and somehow it provides 'more texture and light'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back