Manual vs Automatic

Seriously guys. How long have you been shooting? I really don't want to argue. I will put my photos where my mouth is. Let people decide. I don't feel like getting bullied today. I was just here for fellowship.

I first picked up a camera around 1965. Am I qualified to have a discussion with you?

And you did far more than "just gave your opinion". You basically stated your way is the only way and if we disagree we must be total noobs with 6 hours of experience.

I tend to reman in Aperture priority and play with the Exposure compensation as and when I feel I want to. There's always a certain amount of manual mode even in the semi automatic modes.

Shoot how you feel you get the results you want. Don't worry, I won't go into a hissy fit and start shouting by using Caps...

Very nice photos, SingerSnapper. Looks like you live in paradise!

I shoot in manual. I shoot manual because manual is what I am most comfortable shooting. Sometimes, I will shoot in an auto mode, but usually not. Manual is my preference and I am able to easily and consistency capture an image closer to my previsualized image in manual than in auto. I am confident that a proficient auto shooter is able to capture a scene with the equal IQ as I in manual.

With all due respect Taming Roman, it is my opinion that if one's images in auto are not as good as one's manual images, then it is a matter of the operator not the camera.

I, for one, would not want a photog with all your years of experience leave this forum. I hope we can put the rough start behind us and participate we us on this forum. Most of us on this forum are here to share and learn.

I shoot manual, shutter priority, or aperture priority because I like having more control over the images I capture. If someone knows how to shoot manual, I don't get what the issue is with them shooting it?

All photographers are different, and one photographer may get good results on auto, and another might get good results on manual. As long as both photographers are happy with the results I see no issue?

That being said, I think it's very respectable that you tried manual mode. Trying new things and broadening your photography skills is a good thing for any photographer, regardless of how many years experience they have.

I shoot in manual. But I'm used to it.
I've never tried Program mode (tried Aperture and Shutter priorities), I've even used all the scene modes at one time. One of these days I'll try Program mode ...

I think after a while of shooting you get to know conditions and what settings you used before, and then start adapting them in Manual. The advantage of digital is that you can gauge this from the histogram and the image on the LCD screen, o in landscapes using the sunny 16 rule and adapting it...

I find that shooting with an EVF makes life much easier, WYSIWYG (Ok, not exact but pretty close) in manual exposure is a breeze ... but I still like to shoot in an auto/semi-auto mode as I am so lazy ... though I do dial in exposure comp when required ... I think coming from shooting with a fully manual Canon F-1n, I might as well take advantage of technology.

Why all the questions from some asking "Why did you shoot in manual?". I think it's great that someone wants to learn something new! :boggled:

Why do people feel the need to lambast the OP for daring to attempt manual settings when an auto mode would have covered the situation, it was an exercise and it does not matter what the images are of. It sometimes is beyond me what goes on here.

I never use manual now. Even in challenging situations, there are easier ways to work. Knowing how to meter in an automatic mode will be a greater advantage.

Try pointing the auto mode at the Moon and see how you get on.

I don't think anyone did... The only people lambasted in here were those using P mode.

P-easant mode! I only read the first page and assumed that it reflected the other 5.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back