Marilyn Monroe pose... thoughts?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure how I feel about this image, so I'd like your feedback. Note: I haven't fully finished editing it, but I've got the basic feel of it down.

DSC_2070.jpg

Needs an upfan.

Agree, I think it's a bit static looking as-is, 'though I like the concept. A couple of small nits: The crop of her skirt (image left) is a bit annoying, and I think the overall effect of grey/blue dress & grey background is a bit bland. A gelled background spot with a nice rich red or yellow would have given the image some more 'pop'.

I think the issue for me is the placement of her hands. Marilyn was pushing down on her dress, which is coquettish and cute. Your model is holding up her dress (probably from flicking it up) and almost looks like she's reaching for her crotch. Combined with the turned in knee, she kind of looks like she's imitating a toddler that needs to pee. It's a tiny thing, but for me the whole photo depends on getting the posing just right. The legs and positioning of the dress would all work if only she was pushing down instead of holding up her dress.

I think the issue for me is the placement of her hands. Marilyn was pushing down on her dress, which is coquettish and cute. Your model is holding up her dress (probably from flicking it up) and almost looks like she's reaching for her crotch. Combined with the turned in knee, she kind of looks like she's imitating a toddler that needs to pee. It's a tiny thing, but for me the whole photo depends on getting the posing just right. The legs and positioning of the dress would all work if only she was pushing down instead of holding up her dress.

Good point, I agree. The original had a turned in knee, as well, but... just looked right ahah. We actually held up the edge of her dress with a rope and I cloned it out just fine but having it just float in mid air without, obviously, a fan beneath, looked awkward so I cropped.

I think this image is going to the bin. Thanks for the feedback, yall.

Most reactions

Back