Maternity posing for a teen?

SirenCherie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys. Just thought I'd check in here and get a little feedback.

I've been photographing professionally for about 6 years now and somehow have never run into doing a maternity session for a young mother.
I know her pretty well as she is a family member, and I know that not only is she young, but she is also shy and just a bit awkward (aren't we all when we're teens?). Her boyfriend will also be there and he is shy and awkward like she is. So I am struggling to come up with posing that is more creative without being sensual. Not only do I feel a bit inappropriate posing such a young couple in sensual, more romantic ways, but I also feel that even though we all know how this unborn baby came to be, we don't need to advertise/recreate the scenario in the maternity images. I'm all for the beauty of it, but I've seen a rise of overly sexual maternity images and that's just not the direction I want to go, especially with minors.

I do so hope that this thread does not turn into a debate on teen pregnancy or sensual vs. traditional maternity images... Just wanted some ideas on posing that is just as pretty without getting uncomfortable for my young clients. :D

I have some really great poses in my arsenal, but just wanted to see if there's any ideas from this vast fountain of knowledge we have here.

Thanks, all!;)

Here's what I would do: Put your camera on a tripod and sit down with them and chat. just make them forget about the camera. Use a remote so they don't even realize that you are going to press the button. Talk to them about the emotional roller coaster that they are on and try to bring out the emotion in them to YOU as a person. Coax them into interacting together. The more relaxed they become the more you should be able to pose them and do some different things.

MLEEK, that was really sweet...just had to say :wink:

LMAO...I actually never thought you were =))))))) in fact, I kind of always liked you..just so you know. Hope you are well..........

Here's what I would do: Put your camera on a tripod and sit down with them and chat. just make them forget about the camera. Use a remote so they don't even realize that you are going to press the button. Talk to them about the emotional roller coaster that they are on and try to bring out the emotion in them to YOU as a person. Coax them into interacting together. The more relaxed they become the more you should be able to pose them and do some different things.

Ridiculous idea. As in ridiculously awesome. I would have never thought of that.

MLeeK has the best idea. Hands down. I love it!

Most reactions

Back