Maternity shoot for friend

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A good friend asked me to do her maternity shots this weekend. She's also a fellow shutterbug, so it will be a collaboration.

Our plan is to do both outdoor and indoor portraits. We're both confident in the outdoor part, but are a little nervous when it comes to using our flashes. I have a Canon 430ex and she has a Canon 430ex ii. I've got a Yongnuo trigger with two receivers.

Do you think this set up will work? http://www.briandawes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2011/05/LightingSetup.jpg

If not, do you have any suggestions as to working with a simple 2 light setup? Any other suggestions regarding maternity portraiture are welcome too!

I have never done studio photo but I would think you rather shoot the 2nd strobe to the seamless (assuming it is white/gray).

if it is low key then I would not shoot it to the background and use black.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post the results.

Wait for more people to chime in. I have never done ONE studio photo.. so.....

That will produce a result similar to this one. Generally in materinity photography you want to enhance the belly region and as you can see, the shot only does that to a certain degree. Consider moving your key much further left (say 45 - 50 degree subject left) or 90 deg subject right as well.

Thanks, John! The example is nice, but not what I want the entire shoot to look like. I'll definitely play around with the lights.

We both know this is experimental, which is why we're also doing natural light too. I'm excited to try out new techniques!

Absolutely!

I know what to avoid in terms of cliche (blocks on belly, bad selective coloring) and I've done a lot of research as far as posing goes, but are there any shots that you think are most important? I know my friend is interested in semi/implied nude for our "studio" portion. I'm just worried about turning out run of the mill photos.

The ones that the client wants. I always suggest that people spend an evening searching on-line for the types of poses and shots they like, and then you can discuss them in the pre-shoot consultation. The most imporant part of materinity shooting, IMO, is to ensure that the client is relaxed and happy. A lot of people (such as the subject in my example photo) are at least somewhat apprehensive going in to the process, and getting the calm and happy will do more for your images than any ten lighting experts.

There is a maternity posing guide online I'll look for the link when I get home and check out alicia Alvarez for maternity examples her stuffs great

There is a maternity posing guide online I'll look for the link when I get home and check out alicia Alvarez for maternity examples her stuffs great

I literally just opened her page and have seen one pic, thank you!!!

Most reactions

Back