Maternity shots for C&C please

OrionsByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Disclaimer: this is my wife, and she didn't pay me in anything but kisses. ;-)

EDIT: I suppose these are more "portraits of a pregnant woman" than maternity photos. That's really kind of a separate style altogether. At any rate...

My wife is currently 6 months pregnant so I still have a couple months to get some maternity practice in. :lol: We went out today for a short photoshoot to see what I could come up with. I have five to share; here they are with my own critiques, and I'd really really appreciate anything else anyone can add.

Thanks!

1)
DSC_4436.jpg

Self-critique: I'm not sure I like the top of the gazebo behind her head - in this shot I was standing outside the gazebo and really wished I had brought something to stand on, so I couldn't get high enough to get a good angle to get the top of the gazebo out of the shot. Is it distracting or does it add dimension? Also, overall I feel this shot is a little washed out.

2)
DSC_4455.jpg

Self-critique: I was going for the low-contrast look on this, but I think I could have done a little better, gone a little farther with it.

3)
DSC_4460.jpg

Self-critique: I love this shot, but that may be a spouse's adoration blinding the photographer's critique. Probably could clone the hair out of her face.

4)
DSC_4467.jpg

Self-critique: I blew out the sunlight on her shoulder and chest. I'm also not sure if the part of the gazebo visible at the bottom is a distraction or not.

5)
DSC_4469.jpg

Self-critique: same as #4.

Thanks again! Bring it on!

Last edited:
I really like #5! Her smile says it all, or maybe I should say grin. I agree about the gazebo at the bottom, I find it distracting. #1 is my least favorite for some reason, I think it just seems all little to posed... Well thats my .02, really nice work in my opinion.

I love the back lighting in #3 but the background is too clear IMHO. If it's a but softer, it would have been perfect.

I think #2 and #3 should've been taken from a different angle or with a different outfit on. Her belly should be the main focus and even though she is holding her stomach its not accentuated enough. I actually think a different outfit would've made these shots much better. A more form fitting outfit! That belly should be proudly displayed and that dress is too flowing to do that. Your wife is definitely a glowing, beautiful, pregnant woman!!! Congrats on the soon to be new baby!!!

Brian,

Turn off the flash once in a while man. Just expose to the subject with the same scenarios you shot.

Good job though

With the backlighting without flash wouldn't you get a really dark subjects face unless your using reflector etc? I agree with your self critique and I really like the backlit ones.

Not if you expose it to the subject. Brian already picked a dark background which is important if you dont want to use a flash.

With the backlighting without flash wouldn't you get a really dark subjects face unless your using reflector etc? I agree with your self critique and I really like the backlit ones.

I really like #5! Her smile says it all, or maybe I should say grin. I agree about the gazebo at the bottom, I find it distracting. #1 is my least favorite for some reason, I think it just seems all little to posed... Well thats my .02, really nice work in my opinion.

Thanks! That's interesting that you think #1 looks posed - I'm not disagreeing with you, but I didn't do much as far as directing her this time around. It's probably my least favorite of the five as well, but mostly because I don't care for the quality of light.

I love the back lighting in #3 but the background is too clear IMHO. If it's a but softer, it would have been perfect.

I agree, I wanted a softer background too. I was using my 55-200 thinking that I'd use higher focal lengths to get a shorter depth of field and compress the background, but then I ended up shooting mostly pretty close to her at the lower end of the zoom range. I should have just used my 50mm at a smaller aperture and used my ND filter to cut down on some of the light, or just do what Schwetty suggested and shoot using ambient light only.

I think #2 and #3 should've been taken from a different angle or with a different outfit on. Her belly should be the main focus and even though she is holding her stomach its not accentuated enough. I actually think a different outfit would've made these shots much better. A more form fitting outfit! That belly should be proudly displayed and that dress is too flowing to do that. Your wife is definitely a glowing, beautiful, pregnant woman!!! Congrats on the soon to be new baby!!!

There were a lot of photos from this shoot that I really liked, but that didn't really show she was pregnant. Like I said, I think I have spousal blindness to these, and those two in particular are not very good "maternity" photos. Thanks for your input! She does have a very form-fitting teal shirt that she almost wore, but the pants she had chosen to go with them were... not flattering. I suggested the dress because I think she looks hot in it. :lol:

Brian,

Turn off the flash once in a while man. Just expose to the subject with the same scenarios you shot.

Good job though

Yeah, yeah, yeah. :p You're right, in this case, I probably could have gone with ambient light only. I've been working so hard on balancing flash with ambient light, especially direct sunlight, that sometimes I forget it's okay to put the umbrella away. :) I have a few where the flash didn't fire for one reason or another, they're still on my backup card; maybe I'll pull some of those off and fix the exposure in post (even though they'll get noisy) just to get a sense of what it would have looked like, so I can remember for next time.

Thanks! I've really had fun playing with nuclear-powered rim lighting lately, but as I said I might be getting a little reliant on the flash. Fortunately she's still got 3 months left to go so I'll probably have a few more chances to practice... and then it's on to baby photos! :lol:

Re-crop of #4 to get rid of the gazebo; better or worse?

DSC_4467-2.jpg

I like your tighter crop.

It may be cheesy, but I think the glow in her hair from the sun goes along with the theme of a "glowing mother to be". Good work.

The more "maternity" shots I look at the more I think the only way to get nice, interesting shots of pregnant women is by doing nudes...

Now, of course, when they are done for customers it may not be obvious to talk them into that but this is your wife. True, you may not want to show them here then but, hey, those photos are for you anyway.

#2 and 3, I wouldn't even know she is pregnant if you hadn't said it. Plus leaning on the railing widens her hips which is not so nice.

#5 is definitely the best one imo for a photo you can share with anyone.

The more "maternity" shots I look at the more I think the only way to get nice, interesting shots of pregnant women is by doing nudes...
I have to agree.

hey orion,
just wanted to add my thoughts although they have very little to do with the technical side of photography ('cuz I dont know enough to comment there)
first, I think your wife is beautifully pregnant.
next, I agree that they seem more like 'portraits of a pg woman' rather than 'maternity shots' but personally, I prefer the former anyway.
also agree with those who feel nudes are the way to go with maternity shots.
having been pg a handful of times, I can say that I wish I had portraits of me during that phase of my life, not necessarily 'maternity' shots, which I find pretty cheesy most of the time, but just of **me**. not sure if I'm explaining this properly, but imo, you've nailed that here for your wife. I'm sure you will take the opportunity to shoot more before the baby is born, and I'm also sure you and your wife will treasure these images.
and if my dh was into photography I FOR SURE would have wanted some nudes.
one more thing...she's in her 6th month you said? so this is the prime time for pics. middle trimester is obviously 'full with child' and not yet huge. also possible at the end she wont be in the mood for this anymore.

and definitely prefer #4 without the gazebo

I think most of the C&C is taken care of, so I just wanted to say "Congrats on the baby-to-be."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back