Maternity Shots C&C First time Please..

Kathryn4629

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, this is my first time photographing a posed person let alone a pregnancy! I dont really photograph a lot of people. If I do at all, I just do candid. I am pretty shy when it comes to photographing people. The woman is my cousin and she really likes my other photography (mostly landscape, animals, abstract, ect) and she wanted me to photograph her. That being said, I would love some advice and general C&C. I am going to do another session with her next week so I really would like some help on how to improve my photos!! Thank you so much for your time!!

Like: The general mood. Shadows on face and belly.
Dislike: Wish it was sharper. Composition?
DSCN8171.jpg

Like: Trees in the background. Belly? She really liked it.
Dislike: Composition, angle. I just cant put my finger on it.
DSCN8211.jpg

Like: The angle. Mostly I like that this was one the she really wanted to do, and was happy with it.
Dislike: Something about the skin color seems off to me.
DSCN8367.jpg

Like: I just liked the idea of this one
Dislike: The lighting/camera settings
DSCN8397.jpg

Like: I love this tree!!
Dislike: The blown out sky in the corner and that she doesn't seem to be highlighted/standout.
DSCN8418.jpg

They are all so dark, I know women can be miserable when they are pregnant, but I dont think thats what she wanted conveyed. Make them cheery. I dont like maternity pics anyway, but its supposed to be a happy occasion.

I dont like maternity pics anyway, but its supposed to be a happy occasion.

I don't either, but I gotta pay the bills somehow.

You know I agree. That must be part of the problem that I couldn't put my finder on. Thank you for the advice, I will keep that in mind.

I wouldnt try to get artsy with them, its more of a documentation in my opinion. Nice exposures, gentle expressions, little smiles, etc. I am not a maternity shooter at all so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. I just know if I wanted to look back on them, I'd want to see happy photos.

I wouldnt try to get artsy with them, its more of a documentation in my opinion. Nice exposures, gentle expressions, little smiles, etc. I am not a maternity shooter at all so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. I just know if I wanted to look back on them, I'd want to see happy photos.

Hmm well how about these two? They seem a little lighter and she has a smile.

DSCN8461.jpg

DSCN8219.jpg

The parts of the door create an odd angle line that draws my eye. I like the pose. Maybe try it farther back next time and a little earlier later for the lighting to hit her stomach

#1 shadows bother me but I like the way she looks but maybe instead of looking at the camera look down at her belly. Don't really like the window in the picture!
#2 I like this one
#3 is a cool idea for a maternity photo and something anyone woman would want to put in a baby book!!!
#4 too dark and dreary! Looks like she is about to be sacrificed to some God who doesn't require virgins but pregnant women!! Sorry
#5 AWESOME tree but.....whats the focus - the pregnant woman or the tree? seems like the tree to me....

#1 - I like this one the best. There are parts of her skin that are blown out, but I think it works for this contrasty sort of image, and the b&w conversion really works too! Could have used some fill light for the eyes I think.

#2 - Too dark for me, and yet the sunlight on her belly is blown out - the direct sun was not your friend here. There's also... well there's kind of a disturbing element to it for me. Young girl, looking solemnly at her pregnant belly, sitting in front of an open window... yeah I just don't care for it, but that's just me.

#3 - The light is much better in this one, but there is some funky stuff going on with her body. Her right shoulder is jutting out all by itself and almost makes it look like she's popped out of her top (almost). You could try cropping some more of the top of, but then her left arm gets orphaned... not sure what to do about it. I'm not sure if you intentionally chose a short focal length to kind of enlarge the belly, but the jury's out for me on whether or not it worked.

#4 - This is another one I just find a bit weird thematically. What does having a baby have to do with a stone slab in the middle of a forest? From a technical standpoint it's alright, but probably could have used some fill light.

#5 - I like this one, but I wish she was bigger in the frame, and brighter.

These are just my opinions, but I hope they help!

The black dress really hides the fact that shes pregnant for me. I agree with all the other critiques but agree love that tree. Makes for great natural framing.

Wow thanks you guys, you have given me so much information to keep in mind. I guess my biggest difficulty with this session was harnessing the natural light. I guess I will have to do more research on how to have the subject pose, for the light to work with me. I hope that makes sense.

A very common misconception held by many new photographers is that natural light is easier to work with than "man-made" light. While it's true that there is a bit of a learning curve with studio lighting of any sort, once you get the basics weighed off, your photography will rise to a whole different level because that man-made light is controllable! Many of the issues with the images you've posted relate to exposure, and almost all of them could have been resolved with a very modest portable lighting kit. Spend some time over here, and read up on off-camera flash and lighting techniques.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back