Maunawili & Kapena Falls - C&C

CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did some hiking today to some of Oahu's nicer waterfalls. C&C please :)

Maunawili Falls

This shot was hard to get, as at least 20 people were swimming, climbing, and jumping into and around this place. Got a few precious seconds for a clear shot and took some.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS
Exposure: 0.5
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 21 mm
Exposure: -0.35
ISO Speed: 100
3401098244_200aea1248.jpg

Kapena Falls

Few people know about Kapena Falls. It lies just off the Pali Highway (61) going south, just before you hit Honolulu. Google it. No one there and made for some good shooting before sunset.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS
Exposure: 6
Aperture: f/16.0
Focal Length: 20 mm
ISO Speed: 100
3400203077_d876b34d2b.jpg

It seems difficult to get feedback around here lately unless you're photos need work or are spectacular. I think they are both good shots. The cropping of the first seems odd, but the second shot looks great compositionally and with color. I think the first only seems odd because the falls are pushing my eyes to the left of the frame and there is nothing there. Since there were people there, I can see why you didn't shoot more of that side though. The second has a lot of great elements including that nice rock in the front of the frame. Lucky you to still be in Hawaii, it seemed my trip went by at the speed of light.

PS. You may want to post in the main lanscape/general gallery to get more critique from those who don't browse the beginner's forum.

I think they are nice shots. Not sure about the composition on the first one, the rock is a little distracting

Not bad at all. The first one, compositionally, is wacky to me. The falls seem to "fall" off the pic to the left. When dealing with any movement in photos, its usually best to give them room in the photo to move into.

C&C per req:

1. The composition doesn't work for me; the waterfall is the main feature, but is under-represented. The blown highlights on the water are very distracting and tend to lead the eye out of the image. Additionally, the very deep shadows upper-right make it hard to pick out any detail in the foliage. This was a very challenging exposure situation, and under the circumstances, you've done a good job. I would have considered either shooting at a different time of day for more even lighting, or looking to an HDR.

2. This is an equally challenging expsoure situation, and for the most part has been well handled. THe use of a Grad-ND to retain some sky detail, as well as a CPOL to increase saturation would have benefitted the image. The composition is good from a technical point of view; that is: It takes the eye through the whole image, BUT I think perhaps with a little more exploration, you might have found an even more scenic location.

Overall, they're nice images, but with some areas for improvement.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

1. I would have considered either shooting at a different time of day for more even lighting, or looking to an HDR.

HDR
3401127340_097bd05912.jpg

2. THe use of a Grad-ND to retain some sky detail, as well as a CPOL to increase saturation would have benefitted the image.

I was using a CPOL. Maybe I don't know how to use it correctly. It was VERY overcast and no sun was coming in. Do you have to rotate the front element a certain way? I'm not sure how to use it right.

Thanks for your detailed critique. It really helps me to get better. All I get is praise from my non-photographer friends and I need experienced people like you to help me grow.

HDR
3401127340_097bd05912.jpg

I was using a CPOL. Maybe I don't know how to use it correctly. It was VERY overcast and no sun was coming in. Do you have to rotate the front element a certain way? I'm not sure how to use it right.

Thanks for your detailed critique. It really helps me to get better. All I get is praise from my non-photographer friends and I need experienced people like you to help me grow.

Nice work on the HDR; I much prefer that over the original. With respect to the use of a CPOL, they work best when the axis of your lens is at 90 degrees to the light source and when the sun is low in the sky (early morning, evening). In a situation like image #1, the way to get maxium effect from your CPOL is to compose the image and slowly rotate it until you see the reflection disappear and the saturation seems strongest.

Most reactions

Back