Mausoleum Shot: Does this need cloning?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

So my latest shoot was at the cemetery, it turned out pretty well! I'm going to post some other pictures too, but was hoping for feedback on this particular one. Do you think the trees need to be cloned out or not? Also, what do you think of the photo?

Comparison
$Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 5.53.00 PM.jpg $Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 5.52.50 PM.jpg

Full-size
View attachment 62194

Thanks!

Last edited:
eh, you could take it or leave it. I dont think either version is really substantially better than the other.

eh, you could take it or leave it. I dont think either version is really substantially better than the other.

Thanks! Anyone else have some thoughts?

Well I think the trees should probably stay, just from a compositional point of view. Too much empty space at the top otherwise, especially for B&W. I dunno, could just be me and maybe I need to clean my glasses - or it might just be the rather small size of the image - but the DOF seems off somehow

IMO, this image just does not work. You have a very bright, featureless sky which draws the eye away from the significantly darker main subject of the image. With the right lighting, this could have worked well, but as-is, not so much.

The photo is very weak at 645 pixels tall, for sure. I LIKE the concept, but the image simply can not be evaluated at such a tiny size. Many images lose a huge percentage of their power, their appeal, their allure, when the actual subject matter is reduced to a lo-fi, thumbnail-equivalent impression. I totally,totally "get" the idea, and think the trees add to it, but I cannot actually "see" what the model has brought to the shot...her face is the size of a BB-shot on-screen...the pictures shown are just a "sort of suggestion of " your work, not the work itself.

I agree with tirediron. the sky is too bright. I might try a heavy crop. You might lose the statue but it might be better that way, actually

Derrel said it better than I could (as usual). As is, leave the trees in.

Get down lower, to bring the model and the statue closer together in the vertical axis, then get closer. Then put the model in some clothes that will separate her from the background. At least, that's what I would do.

Great concept, but you're overthinking irrelevant stuff. The trees are irrelevant.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking it.

Such a cool setting, but images like this always leave me wondering what the picture is about... the model, or the setting... esp. when neither seems to have been specifically featured.

I love Andrew's suggestions.

Most reactions

Back