Max Print Size?

RKW3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, like you all know I have a D80. (10 mp)

I took some ISO 100 pics from the desert that I want to print out for my wall.

What max size do you think I should consider?? Is 10 x 15 too much??

I've also heard of some pretty good enlarging programs, should I try those out so I can get monstrous pics??

Basically I'm brand new to printing and I just want the low-down. Thanks!!

P.S. the print site I've been looking at right now is Winkflash.com. They seem good!

A lot depends on the output device and print medium. 300 DPI for standard lithography, 200 DPI on my crap epson looks pretty good, 150 starts to breakdown (alias). Billboards and large format prints can be as low as 75 DPI. So in PS go Alt- I, I (image size) make sure re-sample is OFF and type in your target DPI. Some up-rezzing programs are ok, but don't expect digital miracles and crisp output.

13 x 8.6 @ 300 dpi (all sizes in inches)
19.4 x 13 @ 200..
26 x 17.2 @ 150
51.8 x 34.5 @ 75

(sizes approximate based on my 10.1 mp 40D)

-Shea :mrgreen:

um.. Inches I think. lol

A lot depends on the output device and print medium. 300 DPI for standard lithography, 200 DPI on my crap epson looks pretty good, 150 starts to breakdown (alias). Billboards and large format prints can be as low as 75 DPI. So in PS go Alt- I, I (image size) make sure re-sample is OFF and type in your target DPI.

13 x 8.6 @ 300 dpi (all sizes in inches)
19.4 x 13 @ 200..
26 x 17.2 @ 150
51.8 x 34.5 @ 75

(sizes approximate based on my 10.1 mp 40D)

-Shea :mrgreen:

Thanks!

I've printed quite a few 11x14's at 300 dpi on a super nice Epson Inkjet at my school with images from a d80 and they were sharp as can be.

The d80 sensor is roughly 3800x2600 Pixels (10.2MP) on each side, just divide those each by 300(dpi) and you have your maximum print size. It's like 9.3x12.6, but like I said, 11x14's look just fine. Ls3D's explanation was a little unclear, hopefully that makes a little more sense.

So Shea, based on your little research, do you think a 10 x 15 inch print will turn out okay? It's from winkflash who guarantees their quality, etc.

Also, do any of you guys have experience enlarging pics to allow bigger prints? How should I approach this if I have to?

I have done 20x24 from my D200 files with good success using Genuine Fractals to up size.

Best advice- Use a really good lens (primes are an inexpensive option- I have not used an 18-135mm and can't comment on that one in particular) and a tripod.

I've printed quite a few 11x14's at 300 dpi on a super nice Epson Inkjet at my school with images from a d80 and they were sharp as can be.

The d80 sensor is roughly 3800x2600 Pixels (10.2MP) on each side, just divide those each by 300(dpi) and you have your maximum print size. It's like 9.3x12.6, but like I said, 11x14's look just fine. Ls3D's explanation was a little unclear, hopefully that makes a little more sense.
Like I asked Shea, do you think a 10 x 15 incher look good enough?

Here is what sizes winkflash offers for normal prints:
printsizecost.png

Maybe 10 x 13 is better to go with? Or maybe I can go with a 10 x 15 if I enlarge the pic a bit with a program made for enlarging? (I think there's one called Genuine Fractals or somethin like that)

10x15 is just an off size, if you want to frame it or even get prints (that you don't have to crop to a custom size) you want to get 11x14's or 16x20's. a 10x15 will be fine, even up to 16x20 you won't see much imperfection unless your looking super close.

Thanks guys!!!!! (add more !'s)

Mike, It's good to hear someone has experience with enlarging pics. I think I will look at that in the future when I want to go bigger.

Hold on I'll be back with more Q's in a sec.

10 X 15 inches will be fine as it is so close to your native resolution (unless highly cropped). You may want to sharpen just a bit as inks and dyes can sublimate (spread).

20x24 using Genuine Fractals sounds very realistic as well.

It's from winkflash who guarantees their quality, etc.
Of course you can not give them crap and expect quality, but I think you knew that.

Ls3D's explanation was a little unclear
What? I did the math :lol:

-Shea

Your explanation was fine Shea, I totally understood what you were instructing haha.

On Winkflash there's a "poster" option that offers bigger sizes. Is a poster worse than a normal picture in terms of quality? Here's the link.

Another question, Matte or Glossy? I think matte is standard for big prints, am I right?

Most reactions

Back