Maxxum 700si problem

Idaho Spud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can shoot one (sometimes 3-5) frames OK then viewfinder will darken and I can't focus for next shot. I found that if I remove lens, push the little lever in the lens opening counter-clockwise (up) then it seems to reset and I can shoot again, same as above. So, I know how to make it go again, but removing the lens 5 or more times in 36 frames isn't how it is supposed to work! Does this with all lenses, 5 or six so it's in the camera body. What's maddening is it will seem to be fixed then malfunction again

Anyone with a solution? Or experience? This body was bought on ebay to replace a 7000 that went belly-up. I have the old 7000 body and the little lever gizmo looks similar but moves clockwise quite a ways, this one doesn't do this. Otherwise, all other functions of this 700si seem to work. Like to shoot film once in a while, guess it's back to my Canon AE-1 Program...thanks.

There could be one or more issues going on here ... all of which will not be an easy fix, as it will require disassembly of the camera and examination of the aperture ring mechanics.
upload_2020-5-27_18-57-47.png

There could be one or more issues going on here ... all of which will not be an easy fix, as it will require disassembly of the camera and examination of the aperture ring mechanics.
View attachment 192221
Thanks a bunch, pretty much takes care of that. If you are still out there, I really want to use these Minolta lenses and am thinking about a Sony digital, specifically an a58 I just saw on ebay for$349 and supposedly new in original packaging, blah, blah, blah...been trying to contact seller about this. Sound too good to be true? Yes, I know the saying. Anyway, what do you think of the Sony idea?

I am a Sony A-mount user ... the A58 is not a bad camera ... though the A77mII is much better, though still not that cheap yet.
I had the A55 and it was a pretty good shooter ... I stepped up to the A77 (better), then the mII.

My wife and I still have Minolta Maxxum cameras to shoot film with our current Sony/Minolta AF lenses (that are gear driven).

Trying to keep price down so was looking at more entry level. Pretty old guy here, have Nikon 3500 and a few lenses. We're not very digital savvy. Need to keep it simple...thanks again, guy. May take a chance and get the a58.

What A-mount lenses do you have ? ... and why are you now looking for a digital A-mount instead of film camera?

What A-mount lenses do you have ? ... and why are you now looking for a digital A-mount instead of film camera?
These lenses were bought in the late 80's for wife's Maxxum 7000, no really righteous lenses, but the best we could afford at the time. They seemed to do what we needed at the time. Wife was basically a Program mode shooter, we're not photographers, per se. Not wanting to chance trying to find an old film camera that works at this point. Therefore the Sony digital idea, was thinking it easier to find a working (more recent) digital body. Like I said, really want to use these Maxxum lenses, one way or another.

edit...Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 24mm f2.8, Minolta 70-210 f4, Pro-master Spectrum 7 28-80 F3.5-4.5 (this one actually took pretty good pics), and a Minolta 28-80 f4-5.6 which came with the 700si body from ebay seller.

Last edited:
I edited my post above with a list of the lenses we have from back in the day...and thanks for all the help!

Note that the A58 is APS-C so will have a 1.5x factor on the focal length on those lenses ... so you might want to consider a body with the 18-55mm lens if you want wide angle ... your 24mm will appear like a 36mm.

Yeah, I figured 36mm is wide enough for our purposes, at least now. No serious photogs in this household! Anyway can always get an 18-55 later. I pretty much thought all this stuff out as I was thinking Sony digital a couple of years ago. Went Nikon instead. Really appreciate the time today my friend.

No prob ... there are not a lot of A-mount users here so I thought it prudent to give my 2cents

Well it was worth a lot more than that...haha!

Maxxum film bodies are plentiful and cheap.

Maxxum film bodies are plentiful and cheap.
Yeah, I found this out last nite...til about 12:30 AM, lol. I quit at 13 pages...

My wife wants a 7000 like she had. Found one with Minolta 2800 flash (ours died years ago) and some other pertinent stuff. Thanks for the help guys. Might go the film route after all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back