Me and my Shadow

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
I really like this photo, but I'm not sure about the cropping, any advice on a better crop? Or leave it like it is?

fuji7.jpg

(shot on the Canon)

I think you could crop both the left and right sides...right up close to the child. You end up with a very tall, skinny format but I think it would look OK for this photo.

i was also thinking a bit off the sides but not as much, maybe 2 or 3cm.

i quite like the pic, i like the shadow

I do'nt think that such a crop would make a great deal of difference to the image IMHO quite a good composition, good subject!

I like Big Mike's suggestion - vertical panaroma's don't seem to get used often enough, and this subject is strong enough to cope with such a drastic crop and getting away with it.

Gorgeous shot by the way. One of your little 'uns?

this picture is kind of difficult. I downloaded and played a little, but really couldn't find a GREAT crop for it.

IMO, i like the grass on the right and the road on the left. Both kind of narrow in the picture taking you from bottom to top, shadow to boy...

i would crop a bit out of the top from the sky and maybe some from the left and right.

Here is what i came up with (please let me know if you would like me to take it down):

fuji7.jpg

** the one problem i have with this crop is it is very centered and the grass kind of lopsides the picture...

I really like the tone of the picture. Nice capture.

I think the problem with a too much of a drastic crop is that the child is looking to the right. and by human nature, we want to see what the shild is looking at too. It's a tough call.

I'd like to see it with a lot of the top cropped out. Right about to the line of the bushes on the right. I'd only crop slightly left & right, you don't want to lose any more of the diagonal lines of the sidewalk. You want the eye to hit the shadow and have the sidewalk lines help lead right up to the subject.

It's a bit on the soft side, so you might give it another try. It's not too hard to send a toddler off down the sidewalk. And it's a cute idea. :)

I think a really bold crop from both sides works well with this image and would reinforce the title you ahve given it, it creates a sense of solitude as if the child really is only with his shadow. The downside to this is you lose some of the homely, neighbourhood feel of the image for something with a bit more impact.

i think the original photo conveys the 'smallness' of the child better then the cropped.

the problem i have with the photo is focus and light

MotorPsycho said:
i think the original photo conveys the 'smallness' of the child better then the cropped.

the problem i have with the photo is focus and light

i see what he's saying. i like the original alot...cropping this one would have to boil down to personal preference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back