Medium format camera recomendations?

Can i jump on the band wagon?

Call me dumb (please dont) but do all TLRs have the ability to change lenses or are some just fixed?

binglemybongle said:
do all TLRs have the ability to change lenses or are some just fixed?

Mamiya is the only medium format TLRs with interchangable lenses that I know of.

So do you need to decide before buying what purpose the camera is for?

As in portraiture, landscapes etc...

Also:

If the camera you buy is 30 years old, how do you go about getting batteries for them? And any other consumables.

Im i right in thinking that most TLRs use standard 120 film (well the majority anyway).

I ask because im interested in getting a second, cheapy TLR but want to know that im not wasting my money by getting something thats obsolete or expensive to buy things for.

Forgive my ignorance!!!:)

Ive been looking at Rolleiflex, Yashica and Mamiya. All dependant on price of course!

binglemybongle said:
So do you need to decide before buying what purpose the camera is for?

As in portraiture, landscapes etc...

Nope, because you aren't going to get a choice. :) TLRs with a fixed lens are usually 75mm or 80mm focal length. There is a wide and tele Rolleiflex, but they run $1500+.

If the camera you buy is 30 years old, how do you go about getting batteries for them?

Don't worry about it. They don't take batteries. And most of them are around 40 years old or older.

Im i right in thinking that most TLRs use standard 120 film (well the majority anyway).

Yes, although there are 35mm, 4x5, and even 8x10 versions.

I ask because im interested in getting a second, cheapy TLR but want to know that im not wasting my money by getting something thats obsolete or expensive to buy things for.

Well, they don't have a lot of bells and whistles, and you may have to do a little searching for some accessories, but if I had to give up all my cameras but one, my Rolleiflex TLR is the one I'd keep. Rolleiflex brand gear can be a little expensive because it's collectable, although there are some other companies that make/made Rolleiflex stuff, and the prices aren't too bad. Most Rolliecord, Mamiya, Yashica, and Minolta TLR stuff goes for better deals. I was looking for a lens hood for my Rolleiflex; the Rollieflex brand hood was $90+ used, but I got a Kalimar hood that was identical for $20.

For TLR with interchangeable lenses, there's also the Koni-Omegaflex, but good luck finding a body and one lens, let alone additional lenses. I saw one at B&H with one 80mm lens going for about $1500, which is a lot for a camera you probably will have trouble getting serviced!

Is there a big difference between the Yahsica 124 and the 124G? I saw one has a maximum shutter speed of 1/500th and the "G" has 1/1000th, but other than that is there anything?

Dave

Thanks for all the info! Now I've just got to make a decision!

selmerdave said:
Is there a big difference between the Yahsica 124 and the 124G? I saw one has a maximum shutter speed of 1/500th and the "G" has 1/1000th, but other than that is there anything?

Ive been doing some top grade snooping!

Apparently the only differnece between the 124 and the 124g is that the g has gold contacts for the battery for the light meter.

Im planning to get one or the other.

Which brings me to say:

Where do i get a replacement for the PX13 (PX625) battery???!!! - Now discontinued.

Apparently the mercury batteries (PX13) are banned now. They used to be 1.35v but all the modern (supposed) equivalents are 1.5v.

From what i've read, this throws the light meter out and wrongly exposes the film if you set it to what it says.

The only thing ive come accross is either:

Buy a Wein Cell - Air Zinc - for £6 ($10) a time, that last 3-4 months

or

Buy an adaptor that acts as a size and voltage adaptor for the LR9 battery which is 1.35v, but the adaptor costs £27 ($40).

Can anyone give advice for this problem???:grumpy:

Does anyone care?!

binglemybongle said:
Can anyone give advice for this problem???:grumpy:

Buy a hand held light meter, and don't worry about finding batteries for old cameras anymore. :)

For years I used a Mamiya RZ67 single lens reflex. The lenses were absolutely stupendous, easily as good as the German and Swedish lenses found on other SLR's. Back in the day it was a fairly expensive system. I don't know what they they sell for today but I would imagine they could be affordable. I have a lot of experience with Hasselblad as well but I much preferred the RZ.

Most reactions

Back