What's new

memory cards

Trbo323

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 7, 2010
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Location
Washington
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so iv heard some mixed advise on this matter, some have told me to just go with one large and high quality card, others have said go with multiple smaller cards, whats your advise and why? im leaning towards the one large card, in specific a sandisk 32g extreme pro (45mb/s) mainly for its transfer speed

your take?
 
I prefer multiple smaller cards (e.g 4gb). Go for highest 'class' you can afford. That's the indicator of write-speed specification.
 
Agree ^^ I mainly use 4Gb cards since, for back-up purposes, 1 card = 1 DVD and if it is corrupted, loss is minimal. Go for a good name brand (San Disk, Kingston) and the highest write speed you can afford.
 
ya the write speed is important to me, iv been playing with the speed priority on my camera and dont want the card to be the thing that is slowing me down

4g on a dvd huh, i will keep that in mind

how offten is it to see memory cards getting corrupted? and how does it happen?
 
Although I can use up to 64g cards, I prefer to use 16g cards and carry more of them (10, to be exact). I go this route so when I remove the cards from the camera, I can immediately replace them with empty cards and not have to worry about going out with a camera that cannot be used because the only card I have is back home in the card reader on my computer. Very rarely are all 10 cards together in one place. One might be at the photo store with files being printed, and another in my laptop being used for tethered shooting. One or two are at the desktop during editing, and aren't erased/formatted until I have sufficient back-ups made.

Plus, it's just as easy to lose or destroy a 64g card as it is a 16g card.... it just costs less!
 
the way iv been working it i transfer straight from the camera so the card never leaves the camera. that way i am not risking loosing the card, or at least if i do i have larger worries because its with the camera

anyway, card corruption? anyone?
 
I believe in medium sized cards. As for speed in my use I have never had to wait on the camera writing to a card (buffer limit). People that hold the button down will be more interested in that aspect. My main cards are Extreme III cards in 4 and 8 gb sizes (3 of each). I have a couple other 4 gb from Kingston and no-names. I just picked up 2-16gb card from a CD maker can't remember name (sure its just their name on someone elses card). Knock on wood, I have only had 1 card fail in 12 years. And that was a Sony Memory Stick that I use at work.

So for me I go for middle of the road capacity, and speed. They suit my shooting style just fine.
 
I believe in good quality cards... Sandisk or Lexar have never failed me.

I also believe in big cards, but not the biggest. If the current market highest size is 64gb, I'm good with 16gb. A couple of levels lower than the maximum as I've heard issues with people using the newest biggest cards out there.

I used to have 4GB when 16 was the biggest. Now I have mostly 8GB, a few 4GB and a few 16GB
 
i had always wanted just one large card, ended up with about 4- 8 gig cards. i had also read that if you fill up a few cards and 1 goes bad you still have photos left. after reading this a week or so before me and my buddy went out shooting all day long. came back and his card somehow got corrupted and he lost all his images. he was pretty pissed at that. and it definatly reinforced the multiple card setup for me anyway.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom