Meteorite Crash in Russia

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is all over my FB this morning.
We are supposed to be buzzed by an asteroid today too.
Keep your eyes on the sky!

Last edited by a moderator:
Compilation of cams that caught it, I'm sure there will be more.

....they say the one thats supposed to buzz us today won't be visible.Too small.

500 injured, countless pairs of underwear soiled.

Even more interesting than the meteor... why are they recording driving around and what station are they listening to?

Even more interesting than the meteor... why are they recording driving around and what station are they listening to?

Russian roads are straight out of Mad Max. They record everything for insurance and prosecution purposes.

Youtube "russian dash cam videos".

Lol Holy cow they are playing bumper cars over there.

That is some scary s*** - I thought people drove badly around here!

How long before the conspiracy theorists come out calling it a secret missile? lol.

I need to find a good article on this cuz the local news sucks. =/

We get buzzed by asteroids every day. Most of them go completely un-noticed.
The total number of people on Earth keeping their eyes peeled for Earth orbit crossing objects could staff a couple of McDonalds restaurants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceguard

Small asteroids and comet debris enter our atmosphere all day long. Most burn up from friction before they reach the ground.

It's just a matter of time until one big enough to cause some real damage makes it to the ground.

Meteor Crater in Arizona was caused by a rock about 55 yards wide by the time it hit. When it hit 50,000 or so years ago, pretty much all planet and animal life within 200 miles of the impact was destroyed.
They estimate that one was traveling just a bit under 30,000 miles per hour (8.33 miles per second) when it hit. Our atmosphere is about 30 miles thick, so at 30,000 mph it would take 3.6 seconds to go 30 miles.

At those speeds air is dense enough it can't get out of the way and it gets compressed. When a gas is compressed it heats up. So, an area around the impact point gets cauterized by super-heated air just before something that big and that fast hits.

The dinosaurs (and about half of all other species) were wiped out 65 million years ago by a big impact. That one left a crater 120 miles across and 30 miles deep. Meteor Crater is only 3/4 of a mile across. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Shoemaker-Levy_9

Last edited:
According to one eyewitness... “Well, I woke up to get me a cold pop and then I thought somebody was barbecuing. I said, ‘Oh Lord Jesus, it’s a fire.’ Then I ran out, I didn’t grab no shoes or nothing, Jesus. I ran for my life and then the smoke got me, I got bronchitis! Ain’t nobody got time for that.”

Oh wait, ... I was watching the wrong YouTube clip. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back