Michael Phelps

last i checked, no one asked for him to be your hero.
and his DUI charges (i just went and read about them) were no different than the DUI charges kids in my town received.

And no one is promoting his poor behavior.

True, but the kids in your town aren't going to have tons of kids at home watching them on TV, saying they want to be like them. And by not running this guy into the dirt for his poor behavior, you are promoting it. He got away with it, basically. And now people are going to think they can do the same. No one is asked to be a hero. But when you do certain things, it comes with the territory. When you get put into the spotlight, people will look up to you, and will start to mimic your actions, good or bad. What's gonna happen to a high school swimmer who thinks this sort of behavior is okay, cause even the, "greatest swimmer of all time," could get away with it?

Personally, I don't think anyone with a criminal background should be able to compete. If he had been busted for pot, he'd probably be banned, but endangering others on the road is fine. Sounds like a double standard to me...

True, but the kids in your town aren't going to have tons of kids at home watching them on TV, saying they want to be like them. And by not running this guy into the dirt for his poor behavior, you are promoting it. He got away with it, basically. And now people are going to think they can do the same. No one is asked to be a hero. But when you do certain things, it comes with the territory. When you get put into the spotlight, people will look up to you, and will start to mimic your actions, good or bad. What's gonna happen to a high school swimmer who thinks this sort of behavior is okay, cause even the, "greatest swimmer of all time," could get away with it?

Personally, I don't think anyone with a criminal background should be able to compete. If he had been busted for pot, he'd probably be banned, but endangering others on the road is fine. Sounds like a double standard to me...
i still disagree with this.
he had to go around giving talks at schools about his actions. he had to publicly renounce his own actions as being dumb and wreckless. certainly if he had been a nobody, he'd just be another stat.

and who cares that he drinks. if you think kids in high school dont drink, youre blind.

people mess up. get over it.

i still disagree with this.
he had to go around giving talks at schools about his actions. he had to publicly renounce his own actions as being dumb and wreckless. certainly if he had been a nobody, he'd just be another stat.

and who cares that he drinks. if you think kids in high school dont drink, youre blind.

people mess up. get over it.

I have no problem with people who drink. I have a problem with losers who get behind the wheel of a car after drinking, intentionally putting innocent lives in danger. That's why they have cabs you can call.

I forgive people who, "mess up," but I feel they need to pay the consequences. The US has a very relaxed policy on DUI, and in my opinion, he shouldn't have been allowed to compete. I forgive him, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished. Likewise, anyone else who has a DUI needs to be SEVERLY punished for their actions. These few thousand-dollar fines aren't cutting it. They need to be hit where it hurts, like being barred from athletics at their schools, and having financial aid taken away, at least for a few years. Then people might think twice about endangering the lives of others. If a person gets busted for possesion of marijuana, they're no longer eligible for student loans for their ENTIRE LIFE, yet someone can kill another person in a DUI, and still get aid. There's a problem here.

But that's all I'm gonna say. It wasn't the point of the thread. Congratulations to him and all that happy horsecrap, but IMO there are many other, much better role models out there that even though they haven't won 11 gold medals, have much better character than this guy.

God, can't people be positive for a change?

I'm not concerned with his DUI charge, which is not as bad as a DWI. 2 beers will get you a DUI charge with the limit what it is in most states.

As long as it don't happen 2,3 times no big deal, anybody can make a mistake.

it must be nice to be perfect

I have no problem with people who drink. I have a problem with losers who get behind the wheel of a car after drinking, intentionally putting innocent lives in danger. That's why they have cabs you can call.

I forgive people who, "mess up," but I feel they need to pay the consequences. The US has a very relaxed policy on DUI, and in my opinion, he shouldn't have been allowed to compete. I forgive him, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished. Likewise, anyone else who has a DUI needs to be SEVERLY punished for their actions. These few thousand-dollar fines aren't cutting it. They need to be hit where it hurts, like being barred from athletics at their schools, and having financial aid taken away, at least for a few years. Then people might think twice about endangering the lives of others. If a person gets busted for possesion of marijuana, they're no longer eligible for student loans for their ENTIRE LIFE, yet someone can kill another person in a DUI, and still get aid. There's a problem here.

But that's all I'm gonna say. It wasn't the point of the thread. Congratulations to him and all that happy horsecrap, but IMO there are many other, much better role models out there that even though they haven't won 11 gold medals, have much better character than this guy.
actually you arent off topic at all. chris said discuss michael phelps and we are.

your issue isnt with michael phelps, your issue is with the penalty and legal system in america and this isnt the place to bring it up.

for what its worth, he'll never need financial aid and he isnt allowed to swim for michigan because he's a professional, so just calm it down over there.

not to mention he blew a 0.08. yes that's legally over the limit, but that doesnt mean he was feeling the effects of it.

and something tells me, you havent forgiven him. and really, what is there to forgive?

it must be nice to be perfect

Being imperfect is far from endangering others with reckless behavior. That's all I'm saying. If it had been a Minor in Possesion or something like that, whatever. But when someone gets behind the wheel of a car intoxicated, that's VERY wrong.

Our society only thinks of it being a big deal when they get into an accident and kill someone, but anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car while drunk is taking this chance. Whether it actually happens is irrelevant, they still took the risk.

Truthfully, I find the complacency towards drunk driving here a bit disturbing...

Being imperfect is far from endangering others with reckless behavior. That's all I'm saying. If it had been a Minor in Possesion or something like that, whatever. But when someone gets behind the wheel of a car intoxicated, that's VERY wrong.

Our society only thinks of it being a big deal when they get into an accident and kill someone, but anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car while drunk is taking this chance. Whether it actually happens is irrelevant, they still took the risk.

Truthfully, I find the complacency towards drunk driving here a bit disturbing...
someone alert the media!
senor hound is upset... :(

actually you arent off topic at all. chris said discuss michael phelps and we are.

your issue isnt with michael phelps, your issue is with the penalty and legal system in america and this isnt the place to bring it up.

for what its worth, he'll never need financial aid and he isnt allowed to swim for michigan because he's a professional, so just calm it down over there.

not to mention he blew a 0.08. yes that's legally over the limit, but that doesnt mean he was feeling the effects of it.

and something tells me, you havent forgiven him. and really, what is there to forgive?

Okay, so I think he's a tool who's overrated. He may be a great athlete, he may even be the greatest athlete ever, but IMO, he's a bad person, and will be undeservingly treated as a role model.

Is that better and more on-topic?

someone alert the media!
senor hound is upset... :(

Not upset. Just slightly disturbed by the complacency here. Personally, it sounds like others are upset because they do think of him as this great person, and find my comments upsetting. Otherwise they'd feel no need to reply to them. But whatever...:er:

Okay, so I think he's a tool who's overrated. He may be a great athlete, he may even be the greatest athlete ever, but IMO, he's a bad person, and will be undeservingly treated as a role model.

Is that better and more on-topic?
you can have whatever opinion of him you want. it doesnt matter to me.

tons of people choose people with poor characters as role models. why does it bother you?

I hope you practice what you preach. Tell me you NEVER had 2 or 3 beers on the way home or stopped on a Sat night just for a couple?
Thats all it would take to get a DUI.

He made a mistake, nobody got hurt, as long as it don't continue to happen NO BIG DEAL!

****, I know a bunch of cops who get tanked at FOP partys all the time.

tons of people choose people with poor characters as role models. why does it bother you?

Because I have to much faith in humanity. Call me naive or a fool, but it bothers me when people look up towards criminals as a source of inspiration, or worse yet, when they desire to follow in their footsteps. It's my own problem, I admit.

Most reactions

Back