Mid Coast Maine Lighthouses

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We had a lot of foggy weather during our time in Maine. Definitely not ideal for photos until the last morning’s sunrise.

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse. What a beautiful lighthouse and surrounding cliffs. I’ll definitely be back! They were doing a LLBean Christmas shoot on the rocks below while we were there.

_CAT0753-Edit by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Portland Head Light at sunrise. I ventured out at 4am despite the weather reports of dense fog until 8am because I was unable to sleep. I was at the gate waiting for them to open it at 4:30am Had the place all to myself for the first hour.

Long exposure of PHL at sunrise by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Portland Head Light with Ram Island Ledge Lighthouse in the background by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Portland Head Light by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Portland Head Light by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Great shooting. A couple of them scream B & W

Great shooting. A couple of them scream B & W
Thanks jc. I have a few that I will try to convert. I need to look for a tutorial on bw conversions. Not really confident in that area. I have a few presets that I fall back on but they never seem to be exactly what I wanted.

Very nice.
thank you Alan.

Beautiful photos! I especially like 5 and 6.

Thanks jc. I have a few that I will try to convert. I need to look for a tutorial on bw conversions. Not really confident in that area. I have a few presets that I fall back on but they never seem to be exactly what I wanted.

thank you Alan.
@bulldurham taught me to move the color sliders when converting.

I almost exclusively use NIK Silver Efex Pro...the results are always quite stunning.. I really like #5

I almost exclusively use NIK Silver Efex Pro...the results are always quite stunning.. I really like #5

I don’t have that but remember when the. nik suite was briefly free… I don’t think it is any more. I do have Topaz Adjust that has some b&w presets

I love the rocks in #4 and the sun in #5.

Thanks Dean!

#5 for me. The sunrise with the two lighthouses is a great composition.

I really like the first one, that is so cool. The foreground to me does keep going a little far down, like it keeps drawing the eye away from the lighthouse reflection, just a little. The crop in the second one seems a bit crowded into the frame.

The third one is really nice. It might have worked to wait til the people with the dog took another step or two, or maybe not, they may not have gotten 'arranged' in a way that worked any better in the composition. It just takes a lot of waiting and watching and using peripheral vision as people move in and out of the scene.

I think #4 is stunning, I love the way you got the curved shoreline going left then right across the bottom. And the clouds angled from the center to the left and right, beautiful composition.

#5 is another stunner. Love the mist and the atmosphere in that one. For me #6 is a little too processed or sharpened; I find if I'm noticing the processing then it's taking away from the photo itself.

#7 is beautifully done. I love the light, even that little bit of light in the top of the lighthouse seemed to be getting the shot at just the right moment. The balance is so well done of the sun behind the trees and the lighthouse, the trees stairstepped upper left and the hill lower right.

Usually for B&W I just use Remove Color, which I think takes getting proper exposures to not need other adjustments. In lower light is where I might need to adjust contrast, or bracket shots if I'm shooting film. I was thinking sunset could be more tricky, but got to thinking that I have done that shot on color film and I just used Removed Color. If you're thinking about B&W when you're out shooting, I learned to see if what was being photographed could make for a 'white' white and a 'black' black somewhere in the image with a nice range of grays in between.

#5 for me. The sunrise with the two lighthouses is a great composition.

Thanks. It’s not the usual composition for PHL so I really like it.

I really like the first one, that is so cool. The foreground to me does keep going a little far down, like it keeps drawing the eye away from the lighthouse reflection, just a little. The crop in the second one seems a bit crowded into the frame.

The third one is really nice. It might have worked to wait til the people with the dog took another step or two, or maybe not, they may not have gotten 'arranged' in a way that worked any better in the composition. It just takes a lot of waiting and watching and using peripheral vision as people move in and out of the scene.

I think #4 is stunning, I love the way you got the curved shoreline going left then right across the bottom. And the clouds angled from the center to the left and right, beautiful composition.

#5 is another stunner. Love the mist and the atmosphere in that one. For me #6 is a little too processed or sharpened; I find if I'm noticing the processing then it's taking away from the photo itself.

#7 is beautifully done. I love the light, even that little bit of light in the top of the lighthouse seemed to be getting the shot at just the right moment. The balance is so well done of the sun behind the trees and the lighthouse, the trees stairstepped upper left and the hill lower right.

Usually for B&W I just use Remove Color, which I think takes getting proper exposures to not need other adjustments. In lower light is where I might need to adjust contrast, or bracket shots if I'm shooting film. I was thinking sunset could be more tricky, but got to thinking that I have done that shot on color film and I just used Removed Color. If you're thinking about B&W when you're out shooting, I learned to see if what was being photographed could make for a 'white' white and a 'black' black somewhere in the image with a nice range of grays in between.

Thanks Sharon I appreciate the time you took to give detailed feedback! Really helpful and on point. The people in the first set were so hard to work around. It was mobbed. The longer I waited the more people wandered in and there were others with cameras wanting to get in front of the famous Pemaquid puddle. Eventually I had to take what I could get. Went back before we left the area and same deal. I cloned out a few people that were in direct line of sight but didn’t take out the others up top. If I had been there with a better sky I might take the time to get rid of all the other people. Hopefully next time it will be a colorful sunrise and mostly empty!

awesome ... only what I do not like is that I am used to click on photos and they go in pop-up floating window to fullscreen but not with these flicker previews and they also don't fit to browser window so technically this could be somehow improved on this forum because basically I am unable to see the photos on *this* forum as I would like ...

If you put photos in galery here, you can click on that and it works and you can use an left/right arrows on your keyboard to switch between them but this is unfortunately not a case here .. of course, this is not your problem Peg ... I only regret that I cannot enjoy your photos better because of technical reasons ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back