Migrating from Point and Shoot to DSLR, need help deciding...

rasheemo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! I am a beginner looking to make photography a hobby, and i have finally decided to go for a DSLR. after reading a lot of reviews i have come to the following possible choices:

Olympus E510 @ $477 with two kit lenses or XTi with 1 lens @ $390

These are the purposes for which i would like to use the camera:

Basic portraits, some landscapes, half indoor half outdoor shots, nothing crazy.

I took a photo class so i know about F-stops, shutter speeds, ISO, aperture and the basics and i figured one of the two would be a good camera for me to start with without killing my wallet (too much lol).

the thing is, i heard the Olympus kit lenses were a lot better in quality than the XTi kit lens, and i don't really plan on purchasing lenses since they are more expensive than the camera itself. =[

I am however, interested in wide angle lenses to shoot landscapes but i cant find one below 100 dollars so i guess that's out. =[

the canon is refurbished and the olympus is new, although i dont mind if its used or not, i'm really looking for value.

i'm not looking to purchase too many accessories so take that into consideration. maybe a few filters and a lens pen but thats it.

i am really just looking to spend max 600 dollars including memory, bag, and cleaning stuff, i simply cannot afford to buy another lens, as i am just a college student. of course, once i get a good job i can go crazy, but for now i just want an improvement over my casio exilim point and shoot so i can officially make photography a hobby. This camera will last me at least 3 years without needing extra lenses, so that is the most important thing as far as choosing my purchase

also i guess it is important to note why i chose the olympus in the first place, the anti-dust features of both cameras was very appealing, but for the olympus i liked the fact that it had image stabilization since i won't necessarily be using a tripod. I know that with my point and shoot blurry shots are the most infuriating of experiences.

i don't know if this is as much of a concern with a DSLR however being that it is heavier and has more room for my hands to hold it steady.

thanks in advance!

IMO Olympus makes lousy SLRs. the viewfinder is unbelievably small, they're sensors are a lousy 4:3 ratio with a 2x crop factor, they have sensor shift VR which is nowhere near as effective as lens VR, they also use expensive, and sometimes hard to find XD cards as well.

IMO Olympus makes lousy SLRs. the viewfinder is unbelievably small, they're sensors are a lousy 4:3 ratio with a 2x crop factor, they have sensor shift VR which is nowhere near as effective as lens VR, they also use expensive, and sometimes hard to find XD cards as well.

+1

I would definitely go with the Canon of those two choices (I am a Nikon guy, but I like Canons too)

kewl, learn something new everyday :) (about e510)

I am a nikon girl too but I would love to get a canon

wow thanks all of you, that was extremely helpful! in that case i have a few extra bucks to spend.

everyone keeps saying that the canon's kit lens is below average, but coming from a point and shoot camera, how does it compare?

thanks again! :p

EDIT: oh and i dont care much about the megapixels as i wont be making any large prints.

you may have trouble with wide angle shots (portraits too, maybe) with Oly's 2x crop factor.

however, that crop factor will definitely be nice in doing landscape shots or nature shots, even macro.

the e510 is equipped with liveview, so if you're coming off P&S cams, you won't have to worry about adjusting to looking through a viewfinder.

Figure out what size print you will be making most as 4:3 aspect may benefit you, it may not.

Also, I do believe that an Oly body was top rated dSLR under $1000... i want to say i read it in dpreview, but i can't remember where.

the e510 is also 10MP.

Just doing my part to be objective. Personally? I would pick the e510 to annoy all the Canikonians. :p

Last edited:
Be sure that you buy from a reputable site/store!!!!!

If you aren't careful you culd end up with no camera and no money or not quite a whole outfit for more than you thought.

If you're looking for a good DSLR. Go for a brand you already have lens for, or a camera that has a lot of lens that you are interested in.

I wouldn't go with the Nikon D40 because you can only use the lens they made for it. or you have to buy a adapter.

There are a lot of good DSLR's out there that you can get for around 500$ Just look at the lens, and then the features you're going to want.

I like my Olympus e-510 and I think the lenses are fine. You probably wont need much more wide angle than the 14-45 it comes with. Plus it not only takes XD cards but also Compact flash cards as well. I have one of both I use in mine. I have no regrets for my first DSLR purchase.

like i said, i don't care much about printing, megapixels dont matter to me since it will be mostly for viewing on the computer.

and as far as lenses, i may WANT lenses in a few months, but i sure as hell won't be able to AFFORD any, so it wont make a difference =[

i am getting mixed reviews, so let me give you guys my final thoughts on what i need based on what you've told me...

--i wont be buying any additional lenses, and if i do it will be so far in the future that i will probably buy a different camera altogether.

--I love taking landscape shots, and 4:3, although not ideal for that type of shot, won't be too horribly limiting as an amateur. with that said, the oly comes with F3.5 - 5.6, 14 - 42 mm Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens as well as a 40 - 150mm.

--my expectations of image quality are low because of my experience with point and shoots, so it wont take horribly much to impress me, but i AM getting a DSLR for this purpose among other things

--I don't mind looking through the viewfinder, ive used basic SLRs before

--i MIGHT consider getting an ND or UV filter depending on cost, but that's about it

many professional reviews i've read seem to favor the oly e510, so im still skeptical, but will take your opinions into account.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! i really appreciate your help guys.

yeah im a bit more inclined to the oly e510 because of what you said bikefreax, everyone says glass before body and the oly comes with 2 that are both better than canon's so....

i just need another opinion but it seems that the olympus caters more to my needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back