Milky Way over Nubble Light (1)

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I made the wee hours round trip up to Maine and I am very happy that I did. It was freezing out but the stars were incredible and totally worth the drive just for the view even if I hadn’t gotten a photo. But I did!

This is a single shot that I edited the JPEG in Snapseed and iPad photo app. I’m going to try a stack with the raw files and will post those in a separate thread. I really like the second smoother version of this even though I know that is not how it is usually done.

Samyang 12mm, Xt2, ISO 6400, 12 seconds

Milky Way over Nubble Light by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Milky Way over Nubble Light by SharonCat..., on Flickr

This one is a little less blue. Really struggling with the wb for these. What does everyone else use?

CCC1A3C7-D830-47DE-B8C8-3D19EBA8F309.jpeg

Gorgeous! Love it!

All 3 look great!

Awesome job, Sharon! I like the "little less blue" one the best. You have given me inspiration to go out and try this myself, maybe when it gets a little warmer.

Gorgeous! Love it!

Thanks!

All 3 look great!

Thanks!

Awesome job, Sharon! I like the "little less blue" one the best. You have given me inspiration to go out and try this myself, maybe when it gets a little warmer.

Thanks! You’re near me in MA right? Tough to find dark enough areas around here. If you think of anywhere nearby that’s dark enough let me know. Nubble was about an hour’s ride at 2:30am so not terrible but not easy. There were a couple of other people there so it wasn’t too creepy. Hopefully going to try Pemaquid and Portland Head with some of my photo sisters in May.

Nice set but I think #1 is just right with the lighting on the lighthouse and surrounding area.

Thanks! You’re near me in MA right? Tough to find dark enough areas around here. If you think of anywhere nearby that’s dark enough let me know. Nubble was about an hour’s ride at 2:30am so not terrible but not easy. There were a couple of other people there so it wasn’t too creepy. Hopefully going to try Pemaquid and Portland Head with some of my photo sisters in May.

Yup, about 20 miles north of Boston. I'll be heading out west sometime this year and will find a dark sky area to shoot the milky way. It looks like you found a good place for practicing. I'd like to do the same before then. If I discover any other good spots I'll let you know.

Very nice,

Thanks!

Nice set but I think #1 is just right with the lighting on the lighthouse and surrounding area.

Thank you. They are all the same shot with various processing differences. I think they’re still too blue but hopefully will correct that when I have time to process the raw files.

Nice work!

Really struggling with the wb for these. What does everyone else use?

I shoot in Auto WB, and for astro shots, convert to the "Daylight" WB in LR.

You should be pleased, it came out very nice. :encouragement:

I like #1 best too. What a great shot. I know what you mean about it feeling creepy out in the dark.

I went by myself to this spot because I have never been there and not had at least 2 or 3 other photographers there. Also there are several houses nearby although not usually occupied in winter. During the super moon a few years ago it looked like this!

Untitled by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Nice work!

Really struggling with the wb for these. What does everyone else use?

I shoot in Auto WB, and for astro shots, convert to the "Daylight" WB in LR.

thanks!

You should be pleased, it came out very nice. :encouragement:

Thanks!

These are great! I found this in relation to white balance which may help?

How to Choose the Right White Balance for Night Skies — National Parks at Night

Thanks I’ll check that out!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back