Milky Way with Jupiter and Saturn

PJM

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's not the best Milky Way photo but it's mine! And for my first attempt I'm happy with it. It was shot with a Nikon D5600 and its 18-55mm kit lens. Shot at 18mm, 20 sec, f/3.5, ISO 10000. Post processing included mostly dehazing and a small bit of noise reduction. Any other tips aside from better gear are welcome.

Taken from Coast Guard Beach on Cape Cod
Milky Way-1 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

Great job! Especially for a first crack at it. One day...I keep telling myself.

Good job, you avoided streaking the stars so you're off to a good start! I suppose you just point anywhere in the sky since the galaxy is all around us or do you have to pic a particular spot in the sky to get something similar to that? Newb question, I know.

Looks great! I can see the dark horse and the core! If you’re interested in this type of shooting, check out the Milky Way chasers Facebook group for location ideas and inspiration.

Good job, you avoided streaking the stars so you're off to a good start! I suppose you just point anywhere in the sky since the galaxy is all around us or do you have to pic a particular spot in the sky to get something similar to that? Newb question, I know.
Thanks, Kirk.

A particular spot for sure. I use the PhotoPills app. It tells you where and when the galactic center will rise above the horizon. I also use it to find where to shoot from if I want to catch sunrise or moonrise over a particular land feature.

Looks great! I can see the dark horse and the core! If you’re interested in this type of shooting, check out the Milky Way chasers Facebook group for location ideas and inspiration.
Thank you. I did not know about them. I will check them out.

I would be happy to get something even close to that. Well done.
Thank you. I was very pleasantly surprised at the result.

PJM, nice first crack at it.
This photographer that I follow on flickr has night sky photography down to a science. Very inspirational stuff that might give you some ideas.
Jeff Sullivan

PJM, nice first crack at it.
This photographer that I follow on flickr has night sky photography down to a science. Very inspirational stuff that might give you some ideas.
Jeff Sullivan
Yes. He does have some nice shots there. Thanks for the comment and thanks for the tip.

Most reactions

Back