My first Milky Way Panorama

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have taken several Milky Way photos with moderate success, but had never tried doing a Milky Way Pano - until now. Yesterday me an my son went camping because I wanted to attempt a MW pano. Had to get up at 4AM to do this shoot, which I had planned ahead of time with Photopills. Started with camera due north, then shot a set of 5 images every 15 degrees (portrait mode). Stacked each set with Starry Mandscape stacker, then stiched the resulting images into a Pano with Photoshop.

Cabazon Pano_CR 4096.jpeg

Last edited:
I've never succeeded at that- good job!

A stacked full arch pano! Impressive. What a great location for this type of shot! This reads a bit blue on my screen (iPhone). You may want to try warming it up a bit? WB is very subjective in astro so it’s really just a matter of personal taste.

I recently bought a gear head to help with panos and hope to try a stacked one next time out. Sounds like your process was very methodical. I’ll have to try it.

Wonderful job. An impressive pano.

This reads a bit blue on my screen (iPhone).
I agree it is a bit too blue (but I like it that way). Just for grins, I did a complete re-do starting from scratch in which I warmed up the temp to 4400 K before stacking. I also did some different processing after doing the stacking. The city lights on the horizon made it difficult to make it look good at warmer temps, but I gave it a shot. (Would have been nice if I could have convinced the entire city of Albuquerque to turn off all the lights while I was shooting LOL)

MW Pano 3 Final.jpg

I agree it is a bit too blue (but I like it that way). Just for grins, I did a complete re-do starting from scratch in which I warmed up the temp to 4400 K before stacking. I also did some different processing after doing the stacking. The city lights on the horizon made it difficult to make it look good at warmer temps, but I gave it a shot. (Would have been nice if I could have convinced the entire city of Albuquerque to turn off all the lights while I was shooting LOL)

View attachment 254240
I frequently change my mind about what wb I prefer for night sky. I usually shoot with auto then shift the temp warmer and then adjust the tint til there’s no green showing. Really though the night sky is beautiful at any wb. I’m hoping to head out shooting tonight.

You guys are making me jealous. I'm supposed to be in Arches and Monument Valley for 2 weeks right now. Was planning on shooting a bunch of astro there. But, life gets in the way, maybe next fall. :grumpy:

Anyway, nice shots, I like them both.

Very nicely done. I kind of like the bluer version myself.

Very nicely done. I kind of like the bluer version myself.
Truth be told, so do I. Considering it was 24 Deg F out when I shot it, the blue version gives more of a feeling I had when shooting! COLD!

Reactions: PJM
The only downside of shooting this time of year is how early you have to get up. Good luck and be sure to share your shots.
I have a routine. Late dinner and boring tv so I fall asleep early then sleep a few more hours when I get home.

You guys are making me jealous. I'm supposed to be in Arches and Monument Valley for 2 weeks right now. Was planning on shooting a bunch of astro there. But, life gets in the way, maybe next fall. :grumpy:

Anyway, nice shots, I like them both.
Sorry you missed out on Arches and Monument Valley - two places I would love to shoot some Milky Way shots.

Very cool. And no pun intended but I like the first one. Nicely done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back