What's new

Millennium Park, Chicago. Critiques welcome.

Joined
May 11, 2014
Messages
401
Reaction score
194
Location
Southern California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like them but I am bummed on #2 that I cut off the top of the reflection and I am having trouble cloning out the orange cones. It was easy to get them out in photo #1. On #4 are the two bright lights on the right too distracting? I like how the lights have that star effect. Thoughts and critiques welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Nikon D5200
Tokina AT-X PRO SD 11-16MM F2.8 DX AF



1-
$Millennium Park Night#9 (1 of 1).webp


2-
$Millennium Park Night#10 (1 of 1).webp

3-
$Millennium Park Night#11 (1 of 1).webp

4-
$Millenium Park (1 of 1).webp

5-
$Millennium Park Night#8 (1 of 1).webp
 

Attachments

  • $Millennium Park Night#7 (1 of 1).webp
    $Millennium Park Night#7 (1 of 1).webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
If only the distortion was corrected in #4, that one would be a favorite.
 
The expression in #1 is way more effective than #2 anyway. Maybe distortion is part of the plan in 4? Globe doesn't work in 3 but does in 5. Maybe 1 would provide more drama with a little crop from the left. That rule of thirds thingie. Real nice effort.
 
If only the distortion was corrected in #4, that one would be a favorite.

New to photography is that a PP correction? What do you see so next time I can correct it in LR. Thank you for the critique and posting.

OK I looked it up and I see it now the buildings are tilted. Tried to correct it in LM but I can't seem to get them straight with out making the shot look more distorted in other ways. I will have to work on it. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even notice and it really helps me to learn.
 
The expression in #1 is way more effective than #2 anyway. Maybe distortion is part of the plan in 4? Globe doesn't work in 3 but does in 5. Maybe 1 would provide more drama with a little crop from the left. That rule of thirds thingie. Real nice effort.

Thanks keyseddie I do like the expression in #1 better but the park was closing and I couldn't wait for the kiss to come around again. Wish I started from that side. Yes #5 is one of my favorites but I wanted to keep the moon in and now I see there is distortion in that shot as well. It doesn't bother me but I would like to know how to fix it so I can view it both ways. It was of course unintentional but then I have had some unintentional effects make my pictures better but until I fix it I don't know if it is better or not. Thanks again for posting.
 
I like #2 over #1, mostly because the frame feels more balanced. #1 has more dead space on the left side of the frame which is out of balance with the very detail heavy right side. And it has nicer leading lines heading to the main subject. #3 is definitely very nice, I like it. As for the distortion in #4, LR or other PP programs can only do so much to correct minor distortion. When shooting wide angle, the nature of the focal length can add significant perspective distortions for any straight lines. Just try to visually evaluate the frame for it before capturing the image. You will generally see the distortion really set in when you start tilting a wide angle lens above or below horizontal, with respect to buildings or other square structures. However, sometimes the perspective distortion is ok, as it sometimes adds certain feelings of scale to an image. For example, the distortion in #3 works, mostly because it's symmetrical.
 
I like #2 over #1, mostly because the frame feels more balanced. #1 has more dead space on the left side of the frame which is out of balance with the very detail heavy right side. And it has nicer leading lines heading to the main subject. #3 is definitely very nice, I like it. As for the distortion in #4, LR or other PP programs can only do so much to correct minor distortion. When shooting wide angle, the nature of the focal length can add significant perspective distortions for any straight lines. Just try to visually evaluate the frame for it before capturing the image. You will generally see the distortion really set in when you start tilting a wide angle lens above or below horizontal, with respect to buildings or other square structures. However, sometimes the perspective distortion is ok, as it sometimes adds certain feelings of scale to an image. For example, the distortion in #3 works, mostly because it's symmetrical.

Thanks crimbfighter that helps a lot. That was my first time shooting with a wide angle and yes I was tilting up on all these pictures not even noticing the distortion. So hard to see on that little camera screen but I guess I didn't even notice it on my laptop either. Something to look out for next time. I don't think I can correct it this time around.

I do like #2 better than #1 as well but I was pressed because I was running out of time and in my hast I cut off the top of the reflection and I wanted to clone out the cones but they are in a tough spot. I also wish I had time to wait for the kiss expression to come back around but yes the balance is much better in #2. Thanks again that helps out a lot.
 
Nice work and thanks for sharing.

I've shot Millennium Park. Here's my advice:

1. I agree that I like #4 the best and the only real problem for me is also the distortion.
2. The shots of "The Bean" are nice but I feel it photographs much better in daylight...you get a clearer sense of the shape, you get color (from the sky or surrounding areas and buildings reflected in it).
3. #2 is nice but the reflection of the moon is what pulls the viewer's attention...I'd photoshop it out. Without that distractor, you've got a very nice, almost surrealistic shot.
 
Nice work and thanks for sharing.

I've shot Millennium Park. Here's my advice:

1. I agree that I like #4 the best and the only real problem for me is also the distortion.
2. The shots of "The Bean" are nice but I feel it photographs much better in daylight...you get a clearer sense of the shape, you get color (from the sky or surrounding areas and buildings reflected in it).
3. #2 is nice but the reflection of the moon is what pulls the viewer's attention...I'd photoshop it out. Without that distractor, you've got a very nice, almost surrealistic shot.

Thanks for posting Joe. It was so crowded during the day. I tried different things to limit the distraction of crowds. How is it with the moon reflection gone?

$Smile retouched (1 of 1).webp

$Daytime park (1 of 1).webp
 
If only the distortion was corrected in #4, that one would be a favorite.

New to photography is that a PP correction? What do you see so next time I can correct it in LR. Thank you for the critique and posting.

OK I looked it up and I see it now the buildings are tilted. Tried to correct it in LM but I can't seem to get them straight with out making the shot look more distorted in other ways. I will have to work on it. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even notice and it really helps me to learn.

I think there is a software that will "warp" the distortion out of a photograph, but I don't have any experience with that. I think a little distortion is fine, but this is a bit extreme for my taste. I think the stage set is/should be the main subject, with the buildings as background. With the extreme distortion, the buildings seem to demand more attention than the stage, therefore are upstaging the stage. Can you shoot this again using a slightly longer focal length?
 
New to photography is that a PP correction? What do you see so next time I can correct it in LR. Thank you for the critique and posting.

OK I looked it up and I see it now the buildings are tilted. Tried to correct it in LM but I can't seem to get them straight with out making the shot look more distorted in other ways. I will have to work on it. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even notice and it really helps me to learn.

I think there is a software that will "warp" the distortion out of a photograph, but I don't have any experience with that. I think a little distortion is fine, but this is a bit extreme for my taste. I think the stage set is/should be the main subject, with the buildings as background. With the extreme distortion, the buildings seem to demand more attention than the stage, therefore are upstaging the stage. Can you shoot this again using a slightly longer focal length?

I might be able to and this time keep the lens level with horizon. I just got this lens for this trip so I was so fixated on using the max it would go out that I only went in on the wall face and that has the least amount of distortion. I'll see but I wanted to try the John Hancock Observatory to get a nice city shot. Thanks for posting.
 
I like number 3 a lot. I've seen soooo many of that bean during the day (despite having grown up around there, never been to Millenium Park), but at night is something I've never seen. Excellent composition to my eye.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom