tonymp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.le-femme.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,
last week a lovely model called Millie ( aged 31 ) popped over to help me with some new boudoir poses which I was working on - in return she wanted a couple of regular portraits of her and her sax so, a good deal on both sides.
Now I first started out in photography with a Rollieflex 6 x 6 2.8f shooting promo shots for pro entertainers back in the mid-late 70's when I was a pro singer myself and, as it was a while since I did that sort of work, I thought I'd try my hand at it once more and relive my past LOL.

Rather than shoot static portrait style poses of Millie holding her sax, I wanted to give the shots the feeling of a live performance and emulate stage lighting with a three light setup with her moving around inside the lighting triangle actually playing her sax in the ever changing light. I shot 5 primers mainly just to see how the lighting worked. After we viewed them on screen, she was delighted with the results as they were, without any re-takes. That was it!!! Less than about 5 minutes work! It's got to be the easiest shoot I've done in months!

The boudoir test pose shots came out well too and she's coming back in just over a week to shoot again with me - now that's something to look forward to!
Just to say, I couldn't decide whether or not to take out the hot spots on the shots - genuine stage lighting often produces these and it often gives authenticity to the shots - opinions welcomed!
Regards...
Tony

tonycsm_1066945.jpg

tonycsm_1059042.jpg

I wonder if she realizes she's got the mouthpiece on upside down. Seriously, the reed goes on the bottom. And her right hand isn't on the correct keys.

Nice lighting though.

I wonder if she realizes she's got the mouthpiece on upside down. Seriously, the reed goes on the bottom. And her right hand isn't on the correct keys.

Nice lighting though.

I DIDN'T say how well she knew how to play it LOL!!!!!
I just took the shots - I'm not a sax expert and come to think of it, she definitely looked better than she played! LOL

It undermines the authenticity of the shot the lights give, though. I mean, one can forgive the hands in the wrong position, but the mouthpiece upside down? "Hey I'm on stage and making sounds like a wounded duck!":lol:

It undermines the authenticity of the shot the lights give, though. I mean, one can forgive the hands in the wrong position, but the mouthpiece upside down? "Hey I'm on stage and making sounds like a wounded duck!":lol:

So does the lighting pass? It's been a while since I've done that style of shot! As long as the lighting looks reasonably authentic and the pose is acceptable, then I did what I set out to do! I can always re-shoot when she comes back.

Last edited:
I think the hot spot in #1 is spot on. It creates that stage lighting mood quite well. I don't think #2 is quite so successful, as I'd like her face to be darker in contrast to the lighting, but I like seeing half of people so that's probably just me. All in all I get a great feel for what you're trying to accomplish so a well done is in order.

Thanks for that - I too prefer the first shot and I actually originally edited the shot to a darker level and less warm than this which I think would be more in keeping with what you are saying. However, I've only recently got a new monitor and I've not quite got it spot on so am a bit conservative with my edits LOL.
I used an old technique for emulating the stage lighting from back in those days when the only media was film in it's various guises. It's good to see that some things don't change so much!
Thanks again for your comments...
Tony

Yeah... that's a biggie. I doubt she could make ANY sound with the reed up. You say she was "actually playing her sax in the ever changing light." Really?

-Pete

Well she wasn't exactly auditioning for American Idol - was she?
My job was to get the shots - not judge her on her musical ability or merit! After all, I'm not Simon Cowell - All I asked her to do was blow the thing while I tried out a few shots!
Hmmmmm....come to think of it, maybe next time I should just shoot her holding her sax on her knee in the ubiquiteous static pose with regular lighting, just so that EVERYTHING 'looks' authentic.

Hmmmmm....come to think of it, maybe next time I should just shoot her holding her sax on her knee in the ubiquiteous static pose with regular lighting, just so that EVERYTHING 'looks' authentic.

No need for sarcasm. I get your point.

You seem to be missing mine. I'm simply saying this girl is not making a sound with that thing.

After all, I'm not Simon Cowell

No, you're not. After all.... what's his catch phrase?....

-Pete

so if she had the shirt upside down it would also be ok ?
or if she was blowing on the wide opposite end of the sax?
arent those elements considered part of the composition ?

i think lighting is "overshadowed" by the minor mistakes in this image. IMHO.

Gosh I hadn't realised that you could hear the photograph too!!! Nothing gets past you, does it?

Oh... quite a LOT gets past me. It's just that this is silly. Thought you'd want to know.

By the way... I took a look at your galleries. I like your boudoir stuff very much. Your approach is much nicer than the usual studio setting.

-Pete

Oh... quite a LOT gets past me. It's just that this is silly. Thought you'd want to know.

By the way... I took a look at your galleries. I like your boudoir stuff very much. Your approach is much nicer than the usual studio setting.

-Pete

Hi Pete,
sorry if I came across sarcastic - I like a bit a wind up sometimes and enjoy a bit of an interaction but, I really don't mean anything by it.

Thanks for the kind comments about my boudoir stuff by the way. I am basically a boudoir photographer - unfortunately, I can't post most of the shots I take because of confidentiality so, I have to resort to using models like Millie to try out new poses and get the shots somewhere like before I put them into practice.
I have a studio across town in a converted stable block which I use when the weather is something like but I mostly shoot in my home or other places just to get a natural feel.
Although the shots are obviously contrived when i am shooting seriously, but most originate from observations I make when the model is making up, dressing or doing similar things - I just grab shots when I see what looks like would make a decent pose and eventually incorporate the pose into my work once I have refined them, which seems to meet with approval.
I love working with available light rather than flash etc - my best friend is a silver reflector.
I have two sets of 4 strobes and modifers but only use them when I really need to or daylight is low.
Sometimes I occasionally use one very small ringflash ( guide no of ' 5 ') just to add a little fill where a reflector would be impractical. I don't think natural light can be beaten and it works great when I shoot on film with my Bronicas. I notice you use MF & LF gear do you still shoot mostly film? I thought I was one of the last!!!
Regards..
Tony.

By the way, you were right, she was absolutely %^&* at playing the instrument - now I know the reason why LOL But she looked good, especially the boudoir shots!

As one who plays sax, I must say that is pretty bad. Her fingers are close enough to fool, but JEEZ...the MOUTHPIECE!!!! OY Ve!!!

Now, I think the photos are very good. I also looked at your gallery and you have some amazing photographs. Your landscape composition is top notch (not to mention the pretty ladies...).

Most reactions

Back