Mirror scrached! D3100

chirantha7777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My friend had been changing lenses on his D3100... (My 18-105 back to his 55-200).. He has accidentally touched the bottom right corner of the main mirror. There is a tiny smudge and a two tiny scratches on it now :( (he was swift, but I think his nail touched the mirror which caused the scratch)... but amazingly the scratch nor smudge is not visible in the viewfinder. How is that? does that mean its not a scratch? I told him to take it to be cleaned by a pro camera shop. He is not concerned but he said that it might turn black after some time! What does he mean? is it true?

The scratch looks whitish....

I'm not really in the know but I imagine the reason that the scratches aren't in the viewfinder is because the viewfinder in the D3100 has around a 95% coverage. This means that if the scratch is where you described it might be on the very edge of where the viewfinder covers.

Hope that helped.

Maybe it wasnt the mirror he scratched, but instead It was the sensor? 0_o

(Pretty unlikely though.)

Also, since when could a finger nail scratch glass? My iPhone screen should be destroyed at this point.

I'm thinking that the scratch probably isn't actually a scratch.

You should be able to clean it off (very carefully). The mirror and the mechanism that supports it is a little delicate, so if you're not sure of your abilities to clean it without doing more harm, I would either leave it alone or take it to a pro.

Worst case, if it is a scratch, or it's just a mark that you can't get off - it won't affect your photos in any way.

Most reactions

Back