Mirrorless Cam Recommendation

I was going to stay out of this discussion because the above advice was all good, but I was bouncing through B&H's website and saw some things.

First, I expect that you know this, but if you are travelling through other countries, it is best to have bought all your equipment in real stores and have bills of sales to confirm it all. I have rarely heard of problems, but what problems I have heard revolve around confiscation of equipment. The bills of sales will not necessarily stop this, but at least you might be ready to argue for compensation from your insurer. Oh, right, be sure your equipment is covered by your insurance.

Next, if everything were "normal price" I would probably recommend Micro 4:3 (either Olympus of Panasonic), or Fuji. Fuji has small lenses. Many of the other APS-C cameras do not have many "small" lenses. Canon and Sony both tend to rely on you using "Full size" lenses to fill out their product lists. Sony actually is not a bad situation. They do have a good array of true APS-C lenses, and there is even some good third party stuff. But yes, really they do expect you to buy some of their bigger stuff. Also, there are good Canon lens adapters that will allow full auto-focus on Sony (and Micro 4:3 bodies as well). But that really is a mark in favor of Fuji because the actually do have more small size lenses to cover you. And actually, I think there is a Metabones full automatic Canon lens adapter for Fuji as well, but I am not sure.

BUT, all things are NOT normal prices right now. As I said, I just went through BA&H and they have some significant sales on:

. .

Wow. Thank you for the info. I have not been made aware of such tactic where they take away one's equipment. I was introduced to the concept when I went to Mexico last Janaury but it was pertaining to drones. I'm not aware that they do the same thing with cameras. Thank you for that. I am familiar with Canon products but not with other brands. I have looked into Olympus products but not sure if they're the fit for me. Next stop Fujifilm. I'm really torn because of how many products there are in the market now and they're all very competitive. Need to find one that really fits my needs.

yes, there are lot's of products in the market .... find one that fits your needs
(and can easily and cheaply use DSLR lens)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

First, I expect that you know this, but if you are travelling through other countries, it is best to have bought all your equipment in real stores and have bills of sales to confirm it all. I have rarely heard of problems, but what problems I have heard revolve around confiscation of equipment.

There is another way to avoid this. Go to a US Customs office at any US international airport and have a list of your equipment's serial numbers and with all the equipment. They will certify the list and you can staple it to your passport. This proves that you had that gear before you left the US. It is also good if you are worried about returning to the US and having to pay duty on any equipment that looks brand new.

Sony a6500 or Fuji X-T2 are both great cameras, you can get either body used as well and then put some money into a nice prime lens.

The only ones I have got are the X-T2 and baby brother X-T20. The XF 18-55mm kit lens is a cracking lens and don`t worry about it being called a kit lens either. Forgot to say, both are light weight and easy to carry around all day.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back