Mirrorless shopping

If you want style ... Go Fuji. (Period) But you gotta pay for style.

I have EM5's, EM1's, XP1's, XE2, XT1's ana X100S. I actually prefer nearly every aspect of photographic implementation from IQ to aperture ring on lenses by Fuji over Olympus ... and I consider Olympus's implementation pretty good. (It is company policy that all Olympus upper management to be trained as photographers, carry and use cameras. Which, is a pretty good policy.)

Here's a thought. Do you really need an ILC? I bet you can get by with a fixed lens camera. I use my X100S more than any other camera I own. It is small, it is handy, it delivers a great image and it has so much style it is sexy. The hybrid viewfinder is wonderful. Yeah Fuji's are more pricey, but if you're planning to keep the camera for a long time, and it sounds like you will, you can rationalize the higher price via amortization.

In any event, Oly or Fuji, you'll be good.

I have EM5's, EM1's, XP1's, XE2, XT1's ana X100S. I actually prefer nearly every aspect of photographic implementation from IQ to aperture ring on lenses by Fuji over Olympus ... and I consider Olympus's implementation pretty good. (It is company policy that all Olympus upper management to be trained as photographers, carry and use cameras. Which, is a pretty good policy.)

Here's a thought. Do you really need an ILC? I bet you can get by with a fixed lens camera. I use my X100S more than any other camera I own. It is small, it is handy, it delivers a great image and it has so much style it is sexy. The hybrid viewfinder is wonderful. Yeah Fuji's are more pricey, but if you're planning to keep the camera for a long time, and it sounds like you will, you can rationalize the higher price via amortization.

I second this. I would go Fuji if you're not going Sony. The XT10 isn't a bad option either.

i have been doing a little research on fuji and oly cameras.
fuji wise, it would probably come down to the x-t1 or x-t10...similar cameras, but it seems the x-t1 has better/more buttons and weather sealing (dont really care about the weather sealing) the dedicated ISO button however...I kinda like that. but..the x-t1 is pricey. so are the fuji lenses.

for olympus, it will probably be between the E-m1 and the e-m5.
I like the e-m1 better, but ill have to see what the budget will allow.

Not really, Fuji has made a great system for photographers. It would be my top choice for a mirrorless system right now if I was forced to use one. It has for example excellent glas, a very good interface, great support for WiFi, and good support for flash (well, much better than for example Sony).

I agree with that.

penfdiag2.jpg

Pen-f. Sexy

Did you look at the pen-f? The specs are quite amazing, and you finally get the evf and a megapixel jump. I really like it.

I know we've gotten all wrapped up about Oly and Fuji, but I think you should seriously consider the A7 or A7II, which I think are still the best mirrorless systems out there (all A7s). I know lens selection are few, but I think the tools Sony equip you with can get you great manual focused shots for the weddings that you shoot.

If you are in absolute need for autofocus lenses, skip the metabones-- adapting Canon and Nikon, and go for the Sony made A to E mount, and you'll find the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 zooms that you'd be looking for.

Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 ZA SSM II Vario-Sonnar T* Lens

Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di USD Zoom Lens for Sony

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di USD Lens for Sony Cameras

Why would somebody get the PEN over OMD? I'm still not sure why Olympus has both body styles. Is that just it? Style? They seem to function identically.
You can only guess the EM-1ii is close behind with the same or better specs.

Why would somebody get the PEN over OMD? I'm still not sure why Olympus has both body styles. Is that just it? Style? They seem to function identically.
If I didn't have an A7 I would have the pen because of style to go with my Leicas

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Style. I really like both. They do the same thing but I wouldn't mind having both bodies... Ya know, to go with my shoes...

I have been considering the Sony A7 just because of the full frame sensor, but at this point, not doing any more client work, I just want something I will actually take with me places. I took my nikon 1 with me when we went out just because the nikon gear was a pain to drag around.

My only concern with the Sony would be the large FF lenses.

I have been considering the Sony A7 just because of the full frame sensor, but at this point, not doing any more client work, I just want something I will actually take with me places. I took my nikon 1 with me when we went out just because the nikon gear was a pain to drag around.

Well, the option to get the a7r is always there, and you can slap an apsc emount lens on there and be able to retain high resolution. If you're not doing client work anymore, manual focus wouldn't be out of question, right? Legacy lenses aren't so large.

With the focus peaking and focus magnification, your old eyes won't be a barrier. But I understand your concerns. I do miss my oly for the sake of its size. Even with the pancake on my a7, the oly em5/10 were significantly smaller. I'm just not a fan of the aspect ratio and dof that the mft can achieve.

The lenses I use on mine are small main on is Voigtlander color Scopar 35mmF2.5 and 40mmF1.4

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back