Mirrorless shopping

I have been considering the Sony A7 just because of the full frame sensor, but at this point, not doing any more client work, I just want something I will actually take with me places. I took my nikon 1 with me when we went out just because the nikon gear was a pain to drag around.

My only concern with the Sony would be the large FF lenses.

Well, the option to get the a7r is always there, and you can slap an apsc emount lens on there and be able to retain high resolution. If you're not doing client work anymore, manual focus wouldn't be out of question, right? Legacy lenses aren't so large.

With the focus peaking and focus magnification, your old eyes won't be a barrier. But I understand your concerns. I do miss my oly for the sake of its size. Even with the pancake on my a7, the oly em5/10 were significantly smaller. I'm just not a fan of the aspect ratio and dof that the mft can achieve.

That just doesn't make sense. Why would you buy a modern camera and be restricted to manual focus? I like focus peaking when I choose to use manual focus, but don't want to rely on it all the time.
And MFT does have depth of field. It's not sensor size that creates DOF, it's optics. You just have to know that it's different optics and adjust for that.

Micro Four Thirds, depth of field test.
image.jpeg

For any a7 users, how is the AF on that camera? I've read varying reports on it. An inability to choose focus points? Poor focus lock on moving objects? (Not really a huge issue for me)
An a7 is still a strong contender, but an oly e-m1 or e-m5 also looks real good with the great oly lens lineup.
Anyone with an oly able to comment on the AF?
Also does the e-m5 have the 5 axis IS like the e-m1?

For any a7 users, how is the AF on that camera? I've read varying reports on it. An inability to choose focus points? Poor focus lock on moving objects? (Not really a huge issue for me)
An a7 is still a strong contender, but an oly e-m1 or e-m5 also looks real good with the great oly lens lineup.
Anyone with an oly able to comment on the AF?
Also does the e-m5 have the 5 axis IS like the e-m1?

Auto on still subjects is fine. You can select the focus point, but you have to set a custom button to activate the feature. Weird

EM5 has the fancy IS like the EM1

Does that thing have an optional wired screw-in remote release?
I haven't seen that since my N80 / AE1 cameras.
The Fuji rangefinder-like cameras have the screw-in cable release options (X100T, X-E2, XP1).
T_40-1-540f36eaac10c.jpg

I still think you would do nicely with a fixed lens X100T.

wpid-Photo-20150116135716197.jpg

Is there a teleconvertor for this thing that goes above 50mm?
Yeah, one for wider and one for longer.

I have been considering the Sony A7 just because of the full frame sensor, but at this point, not doing any more client work, I just want something I will actually take with me places. I took my nikon 1 with me when we went out just because the nikon gear was a pain to drag around.

You know, I forgot about another camera. I know this is a type of camera that rarely gets attention around here, but since you are no longer shooting for clients, have you considered the Leica Typ 109 or its Chinese made counterpart, the Lumix LX100? It's a compact with a 1.7-2.8 lens. It's also the only compact that has an mft sensor with a fast zoom, although it doesn't use all of it to allow it to change aspect ratio. These two cameras take beautiful photos.

You know, I forgot about another camera. I know this is a type of camera that rarely gets attention around here, but since you are no longer shooting for clients, have you considered the Leica Typ 109 or its Chinese made counterpart, the Lumix LX100? It's a compact with a 1.7-2.8 lens. It's also the only compact that has an mft sensor with a fast zoom, although it doesn't use all of it to allow it to change aspect ratio. These two cameras take beautiful photos.

Right now I want to stick with an ILC.
Maybe it's just because I have become so acclimated to them.
I think my three top choices would be
Sony a7, fuji x-t1, and oly e-m1.
I MIGHT look at substituting an x-t10 for the x-t1and an e-m5 for the e-m1

hey, does anyone consider a Samsung mirrorless to be a decent consideration?
maybe a NX-30? the NX-1 is a little too pricey and falls into the price range where I would just get a sony FF camera.
the nx30 specs look pretty good. 20mp, focus peaking, inexpensive...the reviews for it were pretty good.

Isn't Samsung getting out of the camera business? There might not be any future support if that's the case. But I could be wrong, I haven't actually looked into it.

Also, did you hear that Sony just announced a 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8? I know you mentioned you wanted that if you went with the a7.

Isn't Samsung getting out of the camera business? There might not be any future support if that's the case. But I could be wrong, I haven't actually looked into it.

Also, did you hear that Sony just announced a 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8? I know you mentioned you wanted that if you went with the a7.

nah, doesnt look like samsung is actually getting out of the camera business.

Rumor busted: Samsung is *not* exiting the camera business! (At least, not the one you care about.)

Samsung Denies Exit From Camera Market & Nikon Sell Out Rumors

a fast zoom like those wont be in the budget for a while, even used.
on paper, the samsung nx30 looks pretty good, and its actually fairly inexpensive.
the biggest issue im finding is a lack of lenses. there isnt much more than the kit lenses around on ebay.
the 50-150 f/2.8 is $1500, and the 85mm f/1.4 is $800. theres a 16-50 f/2-2.8 for $1500 as well.
the 45 f/1.8 is affordable though. i just wish samsung made an 85 f/1.8 as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back