Mirrorless shopping

so... I have been researching a lot of cameras lately. The weight that has been lifted by getting out of photography as a business and going back to just as a hobby has been overshadowed lately by the sheer terror of having to find a replacement system.
my criteria were simple, yet the selection process turned out to be less so.
knowing how little the camera will get used, I wanted to keep things inexpensive. the occasional portrait will keep me entertained enough, giving a necessity for the camera to have a viewfinder and hot shoe flash.

while i would have loved a sony full frame, i don't think i can bring myself to spend the money right now. I just don't see us getting enough use out of it.
I think I have finally narrowed my choices down to two.
a samsung nx30 and a fuji e-x2.
both cameras came out early 2014, so they arent too terribly old.
the fuji x-e2 is more expensive than the nx30. the x-e1 matches the nx30's price, but spec wise the nx30 is nicer.
fuji has a better lens selection, but the nx30 looks really good on paper for the money.

*sigh*
i think i will probably make the purchase this weekend or next week, depending on how work goes.

anyone have any thoughts on the samsung line? i never hear it mentioned. it looks good on paper, and the nx30 with kit lens is pretty cheap on ebay. im surprised its never mentioned as an affordable alternative to the sony and fuji MILC's.

Samsung makes cameras? I suggest you really consider the xe1 over the 2. The $400 savings on used will buy you a nice zoom or prime lens. There are not shortfalls that I see in the xe1. How can you get a better camera for $180?

yea, samsung does indeed make cameras. we had a samsung P&S that was great. the WB150.
if you have not looked at the samsung NX line of mirrorless cameras, you should.
the newest NX1 was just released last year and looks pretty impressive.

ive been looking at some X-e2's with the 18-55 f2.8-4 lens for <$800

A lot of talk of samsung stopping making them. To be honest that nx1 looks amazing, its baby brother looks amazing. But gear is more about lenses than cameras, and accessories are important to. You may think you will buy a set up now and you'll never buy anything new, but you will probably always have your eye on equipment and even though you might not buy to much, it will be nice to have the option.

This was a good thread because if anything it shows that there are so many good options out there. There are very few bad ILC cameras you could buy. One could nearly throw the brand names in a hat and pick one and chances are it would satisfy most peoples main requirements.

I would recommend though to go with a stable brand. Any company can go out of business or stop making things, but why go with one that there is doubt about. If it were me, outside of particular brands I'd go with mainstream established maker that gave me confidence in its purchase, the possibility of expanding a little on equipment if required, and possibly the chance of improvements going fwd via firmware updates etc

so....despite the Samsung being significantly cheaper, I think I am back to favoring fuji as my top choice.
now I am debating between the x-e2 and the x-t10. the x-t10 does seem to be slightly more expensive, but i have run across some similarly priced deals making it really close to the x-e2.
ive spent the morning googling comparisons between the two, and while the x-t10 is a much newer camera, it seems that a lot of people still favor the x-e2 over it, citing firmware updates closing the AF gap that was originally making the x-t10 much better.

I'm really trying to keep to a reasonably cheap budget. I want to balance the fact that I will rarely use the camera, with wanting something with good features.
An xe1 or xe2 would be good budget wise. I'm also looking at the Samsung nx20.
I think my problem is...I don't NEED a particularly great camera, but I WANT one.

In all honesty, what all I really "need" is a camera I can still do the occasional portrait with using my OCF (manual of course with my existing yongnuo flashes and triggers)
So...hot shoe flash is a necessity. I really do want a viewfinder because I hate using live view outdoors. (It's annoying on my nikon 1) EVF is fine for me.

Most of the fancy stuff I like about the higher end cameras is just gravy.
It's haven't decided on an exact budget yet. I still need to get a second embroidery machine for the wife and that will really determine how much is left for a camera.
You're being totally unrealistic Jason. You know everyone is going to say get the BEST Zeiss / Leica / Cooke lens. Start here and don't look back => The Top 5 Most Expensive Camera Lenses Ever

Of course, for my pocket mirrorless I bought a Nikon P7800. I can use my flashes, remote triggers, etc with it with some limitations. Though being a small sensor it of course isn't a Full Frame when it comes to low light. IQ is okay once you understand it's limitations and how to operate it.

The X-T10 is a sweet camera, thats one I would getIn the retro silver tone if I went mirrorless and from I understand Fuji has one if not the best jpegs engines even if you prefer raw I think you can pretty much count on great jpegs colors from fuji if you decided to shoot that way.One thing I always hear from people quite often how good fuji color is especially how good they render skin tones. I meet a few people with different types of fuji systems and they seem to really love them and the glass thats available. I really like that fuji is not caught up in the pixel jamming sensor race and concentrate on improving what they already have that works.JMO.

One thing is for sure, Fuji is hands down the best customer service company as far as cameras go. Even the xe1 still gets updates. They're the only company that makes their customers feel good about their purchase even if a new model is on the horizon. If Fuji made a full frame, all of my bodies would be Fuji. The styling is on point. Usability has a fun factor to it and makes sense. Great ergo. Great IQ for what they make.

I've got a Samsung phone and that pisses me off but would never buy a camera

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We really ought to combine the milf/milc/mwac clubs for the ultimate MILFWAMILC club.

We'd all just go out and take pictures of ourselves taking pictures (and looking sexy while doing it) and then post it all over Instagram.

It would be AWESOME.

Xe2 and the kit zoom well chosen. I read page 1 of this thread a week or two ago, and did hope you wouldn't opt for m43. I ditched m43 because the of the 2xdof using legacy lenses and the difficulty of wide super-wide options as well. The x-trans are challenging the whole dx/fx equation.

Xe2 and the kit zoom well chosen. I read page 1 of this thread a week or two ago, and did hope you wouldn't opt for m43. I ditched m43 because the of the 2xdof using legacy lenses and the difficulty of wide super-wide options as well. The x-trans are challenging the whole dx/fx equation.
I had considered m4/3, but I had an oly e-pl5 2 years ago and wasn't really impressed. It was however, not exactly a top end body. I probably would have looked at the e-m5, which was within budget..maybe even an e-m1.

My biggest issue with the m4/3 was the poor low light performance. While I couldn't budget in a Sony a7 like I had originally wanted, I felt the fuji DX system was the next best thing.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back