The late-Victorian house had long since been abandoned, but sound of a child's laughter which had come from inside drew me to come close to the fading edifice. Was it just the wind?
I pushed open the door which groaned on hinges which seemed to have not turned in years. Inside the foyer, the sickly green wallpaper, still clinging in strips, had long since begun to peel. Suddenly, there was echoed a sound of faint laughter from up the stairs. Given the instability of the rotting structure, I knew this was no place for a child to play. I began to climb the stairs, and my foot fell through the third step with a loud snap. Keeping my weight close to the bannister, I completed the ascent. To the left was hall, at the end of which was an open door. Inexplicably, I chose this direction, rather than checking the other rooms. As I went, I suddenly felt cold. Maybe it was a draft.
The fall sky shone through the tattered curtains in a soft glow. Outside, I could hear the chimes swinging from the porch, and the occasional call of crow in the distance. The room was mostly bare, with the same decaying wallpaper adorning the walls. There was only a chair by the window to provide furnishing. With each step, the floorboards creaked loudly, and a cloud of dust rose up. There was no one in here. I called out, but heard no response. Whoever was here must have had run off.
On the red shag-covered chair was an old doll. The curly ginger hair framed what was once a pleasant face, now grotesquely disfigured by the absence of a nose and blank staring eyes. Why would anyone play this thing? I felt an urge to take it with me. If the girl came back, she might miss it, but at least it might draw her out of the house. There was something curious about its expression. Did the smile change? Did the eyes move? No, the light must have played a trick. Still, I could not explain the desire to want to take it home. I felt a strange maternal affection come over me, something I had not felt before, or could easily describe.
I carried the doll in my arms as a mother would, cooing softly. "Sybil is your name. I'm going to take good care of you Sybil..."
I smiled as she giggled...