Misuse of photography; when the law SHOULD win

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You all know how I feel when it comes to someone not being able to post photos they took, regardless of subject.

Well I've recently changed my mind. While this is supposedly "legal" there should be some way to fix it:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,262700,00.html

Sick sick sick

You know, as disturbing and sick as this wack job is, he has a right to free speach. It is a tough pill to swallow sometimes, but that is one of the most important groundstones this country was founded on.

And that right applies to all of us, not just a few.

Still, what a weirdo.....:(

I personally would not visit his website. Certainly treading on what we perceive to be abnormal behavior. Fact is if we start labeling peoples views as sick or weird we are all in trouble. Above all we are free to do what we want in this country within the limits of basic laws. Of course the web is a lot harder to control. We have yet to see how that plays out.

If you feel strongly about it investigate further.

Love & Playa

Unfortunately, this fool's behaviour has an impact on all photographers. It has been increasingly difficult to photograph in the public since 9/11 and you have states coming up with all types of inane laws trying to prohibit photography in public places.

I do a lot of street shooting, and in the last 6 years, I can't begin to tell you how many times I have been stopped and questioned as to what I am doing.

This nut only re-enforces the sterotype of a pedophile hiding in a bush with a camera. That is bad for all of us.

Sorry I disagree. If we as a society cannot protect the weakest of our numbers from predation, then we do not deserve to survive as a society.

mike

And I have to disagree with you....

It is a slippery slope if our society isn't too careful on how we go about preventing behavior we don't see as appropriate. Broad laws that result can and will just impact the rights of all people with innocent intentions. No matter how sick that site makes me, protecting the freedom to speech is CORE to our country's (US) well being and future.

Even laws that are suppose to protect minors under the age of consentual sex has impacted (practically destroyed) the life of another...
http://www.wilsonappeal.com/index.php

Defining laws to protect the innocent without stepping on the rights of others is an extremely difficult task.

I hope this guy is 'undercover' and that this is a hook to bring 'em all out in the open.
Even if that's not the case, I'd say let him go ahead without any hassles and take this opportunity to meet his friends who are coming 'out of the closet'. This is a blessing in disguise for the law enforcement.

As for the negative side, this is directly affecting the street shooters.

Here is an example of when well intentioned laws are misused by authorities. In 2003, I believe, Texas passed a law prohibiting unauthorized photography inside locker rooms, dressing rooms, etc. The law was so vaguely written however, that soon, prosecutors began extending the scope of the original law to "catch" perverts in public taking "questionable" photos.

In 2005, in Southlake, Texas, a very affluent suburb of Dallas, Lewis Vogel was arrested for shooting innapropriate photos at an Octoberfest celebration in the town square. Several ladies at the event noticed him shooting photos of, what they said were young girls. The ladies approached a couple of police officers and told them about it. They asked Vogel if they could see the pictures. He showed the photos to them and they promptly arrested him and confiscated the camera.

The Southlake police department held a press conference a few hours later detailing the arrest of Vogel to the media. That evening, Vogel's name and photo was played on every evening TV newscast. Vogel had no prior criminal record. Not even a ticket. Nothing. He explained to the authorities that he was testing out his new camera and he had shot several photos of pretty girls in the crowd, as well as other things happening at the event.

Vogel was released on bail. A few days later, another press conference was held in which a city attorney announced that all charges against Vogel had been dropped and an official apology was made to Vogel. The attorney said, that after reviewing the photos, there was absolutely nothing illegal about his activity.

Of course, the damage to Vogel's reputation had been done. I believe that Vogel later filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the City of Southlake.

This is what happens when you have vaguely written laws and then ask the police to enforce these laws. A lot of times, publicity seeking politicians pass band-aid type laws instead of dealing responsibly with the real problem.

These are the kind of laws that worry me, and they are popping up all over the country.

BTW- Jack McClellan, the sick owner of the above mentioned site, is in jail. He has become a media whore in SoCal boasting of his site and sickness. During his interviews he has informed the public of a few places he likes to frequent. An attorney/father from one of those places (Santa Clarita) filed a suit against his ass and the court upheld the suit and the Californian branch of the ACLU stayed away. A couple of days ago he was caught at some type of child center at UCLA with a camera and they (the authorities) nailed his ass (less than 30' away is against the court order/injunction.) Bail was set yesterday at $150,000 (remember that his guy lives out of his car).

Many in the US make fun of my democratic (blue), liberal, wine drinking, no smoking, yoga, fusion eating, environmentally conscience state ... but we did something about this McCallen bastard. Surf's up ...

Gary

PS- As to society protecting those that most need protection ... that is what good parenting is all about (especially in this particular case.)
G

Yep ... but the damage is that anybody walking around with a "big" camera will be instantly suspect as a sicko.

Just occured to me why SLR users are singled out for abuse by security and stupid parents ... because we are different. Can't single out P&S/camera phone users because that would be self-incriminating as a P&S/Camera phone is what most people use.

P&S = the norm

SLR = deviant from the norm

What I don't understand is why security personal don't get that when one is performing an illegal act (or a prelude to an illegal act) ... I would think that one would not desire to draw attention to oneself. Walking around with a "big" camera is a real attention getter.

Gary

Glad to hear he is in jail. Stuff like that just pisses me off.

This is freakin disturbing!!!

I hate pedophiles!

When I was 15 in 1991, my 6 year old sister Kahla was abducted, raped, and murdered by a previously convicted pedophile.
He was convicted in Texas, and was released early after spending less than a year in prison.
If he was made to do his entire sentence, my sister would still be alive right now.
What's worse, after he killed Kahla, he got the death penalty.
But George friggin Ryan passed a blanket moratorium that commuted all death row inmates to life in prison.

Unless you've been through it, you can't fully comprehend what something like that does to a family!

Now this piece of sh1t is telling other pedophiles how to casually observe and record images of little girls so they can whack off to them!?

The 1st amendment protects these scumbags too.
I'm a big supporter of the constitution and am angered when it's trespassed on.
So I can't in good conscience say that the 1st amm. should be disregarded even for scum like this!
Which angers me further.

Never would I have thought that something like this would come about.
WOW!!!

Most reactions

Back