IMG_39612w_hf_zps3ce55085.jpg

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Such a beautiful old lady! Truly a testament to Mr. Mitchell's brilliance.

I am jealous. I've seen all kinds of warbirds but never anything British, and the Spitfire and Mosquito are two that I would truly love to see in the flesh.

Over the July 4 weekend we had a rare treat here though, the last B-29 flying anywhere in the world stopped by for a few days and I did get to see that one up close and personal.

GaryT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Merlin V12 emmmmm!!

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Beautiful shot, though looks like your color is a little wonky.

I was expecting a Triumph Spitfire. lol

Shipman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Wow, thats beautiful. I love that, it looks great and almost unreal. Great shot.

OP
F

Fdee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Such a beautiful old lady! Truly a testament to Mr. Mitchell's brilliance.

the Spitfire and Mosquito are two that I would truly love to see in the flesh.

We are lucky over here on the day a mk16 mk5 and a mk9 were present BUT you have the only full sized mosquito that flys (admitedly a replica) we only have a 8/10th scale one that flys and it had technical problems that day

goodguy

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
What a beautiful shot!!!

Spitfire, second best fighter in WWII, it shares second place with the ME 109.

First place of course goes to the P-51 which had the same engine as the Spitfire.

The Spitfire is considered by many to be the most beautiful plane in WWII

Danmunro_nz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
We are lucky over here on the day a mk16 mk5 and a mk9 were present BUT you have the only full sized mosquito that flys (admitedly a replica) we only have a 8/10th scale one that flys and it had technical problems that day

If your referring to Mosquito KA114, it's not a replica. She is ex Royal Canadian Air Force and was restored over 8 years by Avspecs here in New Zealand.

One big difference is the engines though, I believe they are a pair of Packard Merlins which were spares for the Royal New Zealand Air Force P51-Ds back in the day.

I missed out on seeing her fly here before she was shipped off to Virginia Beach.

She certainly is a beautiful example and a testament to the craftsmen at Avspecs.

GaryT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Merlin V12 emmmmm!!

Nothing, not anything anywhere in the world, sounds like a Merlin. Not even a V-12 Allison has the same song as a Merlin.

Truth right there! Same as the SR-71 is the best looking object man has ever made, the merlin is a petrol powered eargasam!!

The P-51 went to a merlin power plant didn't it? Have to say the P-51 is a better looking machine in my humble opinion.

SCraig

Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Truth right there! Same as the SR-71 is the best looking object man has ever made, the merlin is a petrol powered eargasam!!

The P-51 went to a merlin power plant didn't it? Have to say the P-51 is a better looking machine in my humble opinion.

Agreed. The SR-71 just looks mean sitting still.

Yes, the P-51 was Merlin-powered which is why I know what they sound like. Early Mustangs were Allison-powered and I don't know exactly when they went to Merlin powerplants. I sort of remember that the Mustang was supposed to be Merlin-powered all along but when the airframe was ready the engine wasn't so they started out using Allison V-12 engines.

GaryT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
What a beautiful shot!!!

Spitfire, second best fighter in WWII, it shares second place with the ME 109.

First place of course goes to the P-51 which had the same engine as the Spitfire.

The Spitfire is considered by many to be the most beautiful plane in WWII

i missed your post dude!

Agreed. The SR-71 just looks mean sitting still.

Yes, the P-51 was Merlin-powered which is why I know what they sound like. Early Mustangs were Allison-powered and I don't know exactly when they went to Merlin powerplants. I sort of remember that the Mustang was supposed to be Merlin-powered all along but when the airframe was ready the engine wasn't so they started out using Allison V-12 engines.

I used to be seriously into war planes when I was young and probably could of told you the date of the first one! Time has pushed a lot of my knowledge out of the brain!!

The P-38 and Mosquito are two mean looking machines too, don't know why the single engined planes seem to get most of the fame.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics