Model Shoot Advice Needed

I also want to add that in the 3rd photo, there must be a reflector at the subject waist level that bounce some lights back to the subject. (Based on the light right below the nose and the reflection from the eyes)

If you aren't experienced with OCF I would stick to one light.

Just google one light setups and it will give you enough ideas to mess around for hours.

First, you did not mention what you are attempting to accomplish, eg. close shots of the model, action shots in the gym, etc.

Are the walls reflective or do you own reflectors? You can accomplish interesting results with an inexpensive floor lamp, a natural light bulb, and reflected light.

For the $200 you plan to spend, you might consider purchasing 1 or 2 LED light sources, eg. The kind that mount on a tripod. They provide controlled light.

First, you did not mention what you are attempting to accomplish, eg. close shots of the model, action shots in the gym, etc.

Are the walls reflective or do you own reflectors? You can accomplish interesting results with an inexpensive floor lamp, a natural light bulb, and reflected light.

For the $200 you plan to spend, you might consider purchasing 1 or 2 LED light sources, eg. The kind that mount on a tripod. They provide controlled light.
But not enough to illuminate a live subject without cranking your ISO to the sky and/or using a long shutter speed. Continuous lighting you would need about 10 of those LED light sources that fall into budget.

I have one of these, will this help? and how would I use it? reflect off ceiling?

I have one of these, will this help? and how would I use it? reflect off ceiling?
Have your wife stand in front of you. Light her up with the light. See what happens

Just an FYI you can get an sb24, a light stand ( not the best one nonetheless) and 40 some odd inch umbrella for about 80-100 bucks. That would get you a lot better results than that light a few posts ago. You would need a hot shoe pc adaptor and a PC cord to fire it or a set of wireless triggers.

549733_4371606528987_39868627_n.jpg

She how HUGE that short lens and low vantage point make her nose look? DO you see how HUGE that tiny dog appears??? STYAY AWAY from the short lenses shot at close range....the apparent perspective distortion is awful!!!! Rent a 70-200/2.8 and one decent flash and umbrella and stand.

Just an FYI you can get an sb24, a light stand ( not the best one nonetheless) and 40 some odd inch umbrella for about 80-100 bucks. That would get you a lot better results than that light a few posts ago. You would need a hot shoe pc adaptor and a PC cord to fire it or a set of wireless triggers.

I plan to have at least one speedlite and umbrella setup, just wondering if I should use a second lightsource like the dewalt halogens

But not enough to illuminate a live subject without cranking your ISO to the sky and/or using a long shutter speed. Continuous lighting you would need about 10 of those LED light sources that fall into budget.

I watched Doug Gordon's Creative Live seminar in its entirety earlier in October...you are mis-stating the way LED lights can be used...and tremendously overexaggerating the need for massive amounts of LED lighting...there is more than on way to use light...flash when used at 1/128 or 1/64 or 1/32 power can be PLENTY, if it is used as fill light and not as main light...if you watched Doug's nighttime rooftop demostration, you got to see how well those small LED lights worked to produce dramatic light...so...the idea that 10 LED light sources are a prerequisite is a bit much of an exaggeration. Kirk Tuck has recently written an entire book dedicated to LED lights and their use...that might have to be the next book I buy...he has been using them professionally for lifestyle, commercial, and editorial work for a few years now.

I plan to have at least one speedlite and umbrella setup, just wondering if I should use a second lightsource like the dewalt halogens
I would recommend NOT using the flash and worklights together UNLESS you also buy a gel for your speedlight to match the light temperature to that of the worklights. Different light sources produce different colour temperatures, and when not "corrected" by use of gels, can make WB a real challenge to get right.

I watched Doug Gordon's Creative Live seminar in its entirety earlier in October...you are mis-stating the way LED lights can be used...and tremendously overexaggerating the need for massive amounts of LED lighting...there is more than on way to use light...flash when used at 1/128 or 1/64 or 1/32 power can be PLENTY, if it is used as fill light and not as main light...if you watched Doug's nighttime rooftop demostration, you got to see how well those small LED lights worked to produce dramatic light...so...the idea that 10 LED light sources are a prerequisite is a bit much of an exaggeration. Kirk Tuck has recently written an entire book dedicated to LED lights and their use...that might have to be the next book I buy...he has been using them professionally for lifestyle, commercial, and editorial work for a few years now.
I bought a couple of small LED lightbanks (75 LED units IIRC) when they went on stupid-crazy sale at a local retailer. They're useful, and surprisingly capable from an output point of view, but are a bugger to match, temp. wise with other light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back