Molding Strengths...need thoughts...

katy625

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My best friend and I are working together to form a Photography business. We are working together very well and are noticing our strengths and weaknesses and are taking the time to address each one. There is one thing however that keeps throwing me. In order to make a living at photography you need to be well versed in everything. Portrait photography will be the main standing point as it is what people want. My "style" or "passion" however is not portrait photography. It is in a way....yes, taking portraits is a part of any photography shoot with people, but its unnerving having to sit groups, posing uniformaly, smile everyone...say cheese. I crave the natural photoshoot. The artistic side of photography. I want to allow the wind to blow your hair in the perfect way and the sun to shine in just the right spot...and there you have the perfect picture that moves me.
My best friend deals MUCH better with the regular studio photography and is great with energy and generating business. Right now we are doing model photoshoots for our portfolio. Families, models, babies etc. I LOVE babies. So, I guess we have a lot to offer to customers and eachother. I just want thoughts and advice to help me along the way to open up and enjoy other aspects of photography so I don't hold us and our business down. Any thoughts??

Hey,
I own a business consulting firm and would be glad to give you any advise I can to help you develop your company.
Business Consulting, Optimization. TAD Consulting your central source for business Consulting and Business planning and optimization
You do not need to be well versed in everything. As a matter of fact, the photographers that struggle the most are the ones that try to do everything! Specialize in something and branch off that. If you specialize in Portraits, branch off to on site portraits, senior pictures ect... Do what you do best and stick to it. When I first started out I tried to do everything. People would ask me; "what do you specialize in"? A couple preparing for their wedding do not want to see a portfolio of baby pictures. The biggest thing to focus on is simple really. NETWORK!!!!! If you are able to develope and maintain a successful network, you will be able to succeed. Another idea I used is utilizing referral contracts. Give people an incentive for getting you business. People are 10 times more likely to do something if they are getting something in return. Don't shell out huge numbers but rather, reward those who fill your book. The most I pay is 28% but this person had refereed many people. I have copies of all my contracts if needed. Call me or email me with any questions I can help you with.
CHEERS................

So your partner does most of the formal in-studio portraits and you handle the on-location and outdoor portrait work. You develop and market both of these portfolios to clients and see what happens....Daniel is right in his answer, you shouldn't try to become all things.....develop your niche, become the BEST at that, and see what happens!

Andrew
TheDiscerningPhotographer.com

Hey,
I own a business consulting firm and would be glad to give you any advise I can to help you develop your company.
Business Consulting, Optimization. TAD Consulting your central source for business Consulting and Business planning and optimization
You do not need to be well versed in everything. As a matter of fact, the photographers that struggle the most are the ones that try to do everything! Specialize in something and branch off that. If you specialize in Portraits, branch off to on site portraits, senior pictures ect... Do what you do best and stick to it. When I first started out I tried to do everything. People would ask me; "what do you specialize in"? A couple preparing for their wedding do not want to see a portfolio of baby pictures. The biggest thing to focus on is simple really. NETWORK!!!!! If you are able to develope and maintain a successful network, you will be able to succeed. Another idea I used is utilizing referral contracts. Give people an incentive for getting you business. People are 10 times more likely to do something if they are getting something in return. Don't shell out huge numbers but rather, reward those who fill your book. The most I pay is 28% but this person had refereed many people. I have copies of all my contracts if needed. Call me or email me with any questions I can help you with.
CHEERS................

Thank you both for you responses. Daniel, I will be taking you up on your offer for advice. I will be calling you soon!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back