Money Loser? What Gives?

LOL. That is obviously a typo. Let me fix that and we'll pretend it didn't happen. ;)

Oh, yes, my mistake. I see now, it clearly says "relative." ;) Ha! Now everyone's just gonna wonder what kind of medication *I'm* on!
Yes, and they will also wonder why the people who have quoted me chose to change what I wrote. Those bastards. LOL!

If you wont do the job on their cheaper budget, then you havent lost any business since they could never afford you anyway. Whats wrong with another photographer filling that niche? And whats to say they cant do good work on that budget? And either way, why does anyone else care since. Im going to guess that someone with a $3000+ budget for photography probably isn't looking for someone on craigslist...seems like its a non issue to me. But what do I know...

The photographer is willing to do a one hour shoot in a town that's 110 miles from where she lives; 220 miles round trip. For that one hour photo shoot, including her travel time and mileage, she's charging $45.00. Let's say she drives a vehicle which has a 15 gallon tank. At $3.89 a gallon, she'll spend $58.35 for a tank of gas. She's immediately in the red for $13.35, and she hasn't even left her driveway.

Honestly, I don't know what "niche" that might be, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to fill it...

Tests, Peer reviews, and Certifications.. PLEASE! LOL!

I'm not certain if this is a joke or not...

Nope.. not at all! I would love to see it happen, as would most reputable pro's. If a person had to demonstrate ability through testing, and peer review before being able to get a business license, there would be a lot fewer questionable PRO's out there!

Well, the very obvious problem with that is that photography is an art form, is it not?

Would you want to license sculptors? Painters? Sculpting and painting are no more or less "art" than photography. I think we can agree that licensing sculptors owuld be pretty silly. Why should they have a different standard?

Honestly, I've never heard a convincing argument in favor of it...

I am a former Paramedic.. did mostly lifeflight, and ER... some volunteer ambulance time too. You have probably worked with other medics, and EMT's, that you felt should not even be allowed to touch a patient, haven't you? Is that lesser ability ok, for those that "pay" less? Should only those that can afford more, get the better medical care?

I feel that same way about photography! ;) Yes.. the low-ends fill a niche for the people who are cheap, or really can't afford better... and that is fine. But they should not call themselves PRO's! (but that is a touchy semantic issue.. don't want to start that up again) lol! :)

Respectfully, the ramifications of a hack photographer calling himself a "pro" are probably far less severe than a hack EMT doing the same...

Licensing and certifications would mean nothing.

Look at how many people have a driver's license. I don't know about you, but I know a lot of really bad drivers.

A license guarantees nothing, and believing otherwise is pretty delusional. All it shows is that the holder was able to exhibit a level of skill to pass a test one time. It in no way means that the tested skill will be employed.

And, again, photography is an art form. Regulate that, and then the regulation of musicians, painters, poets and writers won't be far off...

Steve5D said:
The photographer is willing to do a one hour shoot in a town that's 110 miles from where she lives; 220 miles round trip. For that one hour photo shoot, including her travel time and mileage, she's charging $45.00. Let's say she drives a vehicle which has a 15 gallon tank. At $3.89 a gallon, she'll spend $58.35 for a tank of gas. She's immediately in the red for $13.35, and she hasn't even left her driveway.

Honestly, I don't know what "niche" that might be, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to fill it...

If only half the people actually do the shoot she is now making $90 a shoot. And if she hires a photographer to shoot for her for $15 bucks an hour who lives in that area she can possibly turn a profit

Steve5D said:

If only half the people actually do the shoot she is now making $90 a shoot. And if she hires a photographer to shoot for her for $15 bucks an hour who lives in that area she can possibly turn a profit

I think the best way in that situation would be if the photographer could line up a couple of shoots in that area. assuming they actually had to go the max distance from their home, with a bunch of sessions lined up it COULD turn a nice profit even with the $100 in gas.

pixmedic said:
I think the best way in that situation would be if the photographer could line up a couple of shoots in that area. assuming they actually had to go the max distance from their home, with a bunch of sessions lined up it COULD turn a nice profit even with the $100 in gas.

....drive a hybrid :)

Steve5D said:

Huh?

None of that makes any sense...

Steve5D said:

I see where you're coming from, but I think that's asking a lot. Even if there were four people in El Centro (the furthest town) who wanted to schedule shoots, the photographer would would have to rely on everyone being able to not only be available the same day, but also be able to work their schedules so that they can successfully be shot all in the same day; Customer #1 gets an hour shoot. Add some travel time. Now shoot Customer #2 for an hour. Add some more travel time to get to Customer #3, who you'll shoot for an hour before driving to Customer #4.

I just don't see how it's likely to be a workable situation...

pixmedic said:

Yeah, because that hybrid will be paid off in no time with those $45.00 shoots.

I e-mailed the photographer to find out what the Hell she's thinkin'...

pixmedic said:

Yeah, because that hybrid will be paid off in no time with those $45.00 shoots.

I e-mailed the photographer to find out what the Hell she's thinkin'...

I think we are all dying to hear the answer. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back