Monopdo under $40?

ir0n_ma1den

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be needing a monopod soon but I don't know what to buy.

The 2 I have been looking at are the Cannon 100 and the Bogen/Manfrotto 676B (The one that can carry 10lbs).

I've heard of Bogen and they seem pretty good but I don't know which one to choose or if they are even good.

thanks

Bogen/Manfrotto is a great brand, it's hard to go wrong with that.

I've got a cheap monopod, I think the brand name is Optex...but it's probably a generic product. The clamp locks aren't as strong as a more expensive pod but the price was about $40.

I got the Manfrotto 790B because it folds down to only +15". It states to hold 2.2lbs (1kg), but I have mounted over 5lbs of gear on top several times without any failures. For the extra $2, your choice is probably better.

I believe Canon's monopod is like $35 - I have this. Am thinking it's a bit flimsy but I only use it to help support 30D + 70-200 so full weight is never on it (unlike tripod).

Do not believe I've seen a Manfrotto below $50.

I believe Canon's monopod is like $35 - I have this. Am thinking it's a bit flimsy but I only use it to help support 30D + 70-200 so full weight is never on it (unlike tripod).

Do not believe I've seen a Manfrotto below $50.

Nor have I; the cheapest I've ever seen a [new] one is abut $65, and that's less head. I would second the recommendation for a Bogen/Manfrotto - top notch gear, easy to get parts for (quick release, etc). After all, it doesn't make sense to save a couple of dollars when you are going to support hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of gear!

Optex is an "offshore" company that brands a whole raft of still and video accessories. Their stuff isn't bad, but IMHO, it's not up to sustained or hard use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back