Month-Long Iceland Solo Hike - Get Involved!

You want us to pay for your holiday in paradise ? your only going for a month these lads went for over a year unaided made the film/book and made the money after the tripMondo Enduro: The Ultimate Adventure on Two Wheels - 44,000 Miles in 400 Days: Amazon.co.uk: Austin E. Vince, Louis R. Bloom, Mark Friend, Clive R. Greenhough, Bill Plenty, Charles Penty, Nicholas A. Stubley: Books
THEN DONT CONTRIBUTE! Who cares how people fund their projects, be it crowd sourcing, saving up, selling their belongings or just being a rich scoundrel who "earned" the money to pay for it. Seriously, who cares. If you don't support this project don't donate. It's as simple as that. Save the preaching for Sunday school.

It's not even a big venture it's a 4 week holiday most people could do it standing on their head

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You want us to pay for your holiday in paradise ? your only going for a month these lads went for over a year unaided made the film/book and made the money after the tripMondo Enduro: The Ultimate Adventure on Two Wheels - 44,000 Miles in 400 Days: Amazon.co.uk: Austin E. Vince, Louis R. Bloom, Mark Friend, Clive R. Greenhough, Bill Plenty, Charles Penty, Nicholas A. Stubley: Books
THEN DONT CONTRIBUTE! Who cares how people fund their projects, be it crowd sourcing, saving up, selling their belongings or just being a rich scoundrel who "earned" the money to pay for it. Seriously, who cares. If you don't support this project don't donate. It's as simple as that. Save the preaching for Sunday school.

Thanks alot. I appreciate both of the pair of yous' comments.

All of the above.

Mark is a great photographer and I can't wait to see what he comes up with on this trip. I am expecting huge things from him.

I support him a 110%.

Thanks alot bud. I'll do my best not to disappoint. :)

Mark

looks like you will get $2

^^ you're just upset because you have your pride misplaced into your finances. Nobody asked you for your opinion.

^^ you're just upset because you have your pride misplaced into your finances. Nobody asked you for your opinion.

I couldn't give a **** about money it means nothing to me, i take big trips every year its nothing special to us over here

It's not even a big venture it's a 4 week holiday most people could do it standing on their head

Most people could hike 300 miles in 25 days, in the tundra, alone, on their head? Something tells me you're a bit mistaken here. To us commoners, this is something unfounded and inspirational. Sorry you've been desensitized to this sort of thing. I'm sure there will be many more people who will be astounded by the result than will say "ho hum, iceland :er:

Thanks alot. I appreciate both of the pair of yous' comments.

All of the above.

Mark is a great photographer and I can't wait to see what he comes up with on this trip. I am expecting huge things from him.

I support him a 110%.

Thanks alot bud. I'll do my best not to disappoint. :)

Mark

looks like you will get $2

Could you please just not reply on this thread any longer? Jeesh.

To most people it is just an extended holiday it is only 830 mile if you drive around the Island

The fact that people could drive around Iceland, and often do, makes no difference. The point of this is the end result and the journey to get there. I swear. You are relentless. The same concept could be placed on all of the most amazing pieces of work in history. Anything ever created could easily be remade today by most artists. Does that discount the original work in any way? The fact that the feat CAN be accomplished, and has been previously doesn't mean the next time a variation has been created is any less of a feat in istelf, or respectable.

Mark

I couldn't give a **** about money it means nothing to me, i take big trips every year its nothing special to us over here

Ahhhhh. I see the problem. Well, to the 99% of others, it is a big deal, something special. You clearly don't know how it feels to have something like this mean this much to you. Like you said, it's commonplace, and nothing special to you.

You're disgusting.

:lol:

Mark

Are you relying 100% on donations to make that trip may I ask?

Sent from my iPhone using PhotographyForum app

Pretty much. Things are tight, as I'm sure you can understand. But it's something I'm passionate about, so If I can get it done this way, I really want to give it a go. I am more appreciative than you know.

Mark

Markw said:
[...] But it's something I'm passionate about, so If I can get it done this way, I really want to give it a go. I am more appreciative than you know.

Mark
And there's nothing wrong with your passion and the pursuit of your dreams but what are you doing to save money before asking for monetary help?

Sent from my iPhone using PhotographyForum app

Of course I'm saving the money that I can. I don't exactly have dispensable money, though. There's no way I'll be able to save that much money in that time frame. No way, at all. I'm saving what I can, but it's not much. So, what am I doing to save? Well, I guess the simple answer would be saving. The money in the campaign will only pay for the equipment and the plane tickets. I'm still paying for all of the expenses while in Iceland.

Mark

Mark: I wish you the best of luck with this, and I hope that you're able to find all the needed funding. I will say however that I think you need to polish your approach. As presented, it really does sound like a plea for the general public to pay for your vacation.

Don't misunderstand, I think the idea is a good one, but I can't say that it's one that I'm willing to support because I feel that your stated goals are a little too nebulous. I would like to see some scientific backing, and some concrete goals (What is the purpose of the populuation comparison?) How will things be documented? What standards will be used? Do you have any training? Where will the data go at the end of the project?

There is a certain attitude in your video description that kind of sets off a "noble savage" kind of tone, that because Iceland is such a rural part of the world and the people live in such close proximity to nature, that they must be in harmony with nature. Though you did not come outright and say it, the video comes across this way to me.

Your views on iceland may not be entirely accurate. The overwhelming majority of Icelanders live in urban areas (Reykjavic, while not a huge city, is the size of Portland, ME); areas consisting of the same "steel and concrete" which you contrast with America. Your video, perhaps unintentionally, seems to imply that Iceland is sort of stuck in the dawning age of Scandinavian agriculture, and not the technologically advanced society which it truly is.

But most important I don't know if this is a study of culture, or if it's a study of landscape, or if it's a study of self. Is this project going to be about the people and how they relate with their landscape? Will this be about the landscape and how it relates with you? Will this be about the culture and how it contrasts with your own? There seems to be so many themes going on here of which only some can be addressed by your plans.

I would highly recommend that you try to more clearly think out your intent, how you will accomplish your intent and why this project is important before seeking sponsorship.

If you need help with your intent, and are willing to be asked some pretty tough questions, I will be more than happy to help. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
There is a certain attitude in your video description that kind of sets off a "noble savage" kind of tone, that because Iceland is such a rural part of the world and the people live in such close proximity to nature, that they must be in harmony with nature. Though you did not come outright and say it, the video comes across this way to me.

Your views on iceland may not be entirely accurate. The overwhelming majority of Icelanders live in urban areas (Reykjavic, while not a huge city, is the size of Portland, ME); areas consisting of the same "steel and concrete" which you contrast with America. Your video, perhaps unintentionally, seems to imply that Iceland is sort of stuck in the dawning age of Scandinavian agriculture, and not the technologically advanced society which it truly is.

But most important I don't know if this is a study of culture, or if it's a study of landscape, or if it's a study of self. Is this project going to be about the people and how they relate with their landscape? Will this be about the landscape and how it relates with you? Will this be about the culture and how it contrasts with your own? There seems to be so many themes going on here of which only some can be addressed by your plans.

I would highly recommend that you try to more clearly think out your intent, how you will accomplish your intent and why this project is important before seeking sponsorship.

If you need help with your intent, and are willing to be asked some pretty tough questions, I will be more than happy to help. Feel free to PM me.

Having a change of heart ?:lol:

Most reactions

Back