Moon with 70-200 C&C

how do i check EXIF data? do i have to save it onto my computer?

how do i check EXIF data? do i have to save it onto my computer?
No, you can view EXIF data right from the web page. You need a EXIF viewer like Opanda IExif. With IExif installed on your computer you can just right click on an image and then click on Image Properties. If the EXIF is there you should be able to read it.

Heck, better than I've ever done! I get so frustrated trying to shoot night skies.....it would probably help if I had something besides a portrait lens too. lol.

Jaszek said:
the EXIF is there. After I cropped and resized it a lot i noticed I missed the focus just a little bit :p

Personally I think the focus is very close, but it's just not sharp. You can see the craters quite well toward the bottom of the Moon.

Jaszek said:
no tripod. hand held. I dont think I need a tripod shooting at 1/4000th and ISO 800 lol. I didn't bother to use Manual Focus b/c its freesing here in Brooklyn.

You might try base ISO, f/8, and set your shutter for exposure. I'd start at about 1/125 or so and adjust from there. Use a tripod and a remote or timer as mentioned. Center the moon in the frame as that's where the glass is usually sharpest. Crop a composition afterward, since at 200mm you are probably going to be cropping anyway.

Your shot should be significantly sharper after all that.

No, you can view EXIF data right from the web page. You need a EXIF viewer like Opanda IExif. With IExif installed on your computer you can just right click on an image and then click on Image Properties. If the EXIF is there you should be able to read it.

Great thanks!

I've never shot the moon, but tonight is looking promising. I hope it stays clear.

I will break out my 70-200mm and see what I can get.

Question: Why did you use ISO 800?

You might try base ISO, f/8, and set your shutter for exposure. I'd start at about 1/125 or so and adjust from there. Use a tripod and a remote or timer as mentioned. Center the moon in the frame as that's where the glass is usually sharpest. Crop a composition afterward, since at 200mm you are probably going to be cropping anyway.
That makes sense to me. I'll give it a shot.

f/8
ISO 200
Shutter - whatever camera tells me
I'll center the moon in frame and use my 2sec timer to release (no remote switch yet)

I hope I get a good one! :)

You'll have much better results by adjusting your ISO to its lowest setting, turn AF off, mount the gear on a tripod and use a remote shutter release. The blur in your shot is quite noticable.

Agree. I have the sigma 70-200 and have several nice, crisp images of the moon by using tripod, turning the ISO way down (just because it's a night shot, you are taking the reading off the moon which is bright, no need for such a high ISO and extremely fast shutter speed).

I've never shot the moon, but tonight is looking promising. I hope it stays clear.

I will break out my 70-200mm and see what I can get.

Question: Why did you use ISO 800?
It was pretty cold and I wanted to take the shot as fast as possible to put my hands back in my pockets, forgot my gloves :p. I had the camera on 800 so didn't feel like changing.

Ok, just got back in from outside (man it's cold!) and here's my very first moon pic. Like you Jaszek, I was so busy setting things up, messing with the tripod, getting down on my knees in the snow (moon is almost directly overhead right now) that I didn't change my aperture setting from 2.8! I wanted it to be set at 8. I might go back out, darn it. But I still think my first moon shot turned out pretty nice.

ISO 100
F/2.8
1/500

IMG_4911.jpg

Attempt #2, this time with f/8.

IMG_4913.jpg

What's that blue ring around the bottom of the moon? It's in both pics... what is causing that to you think?

Very awesome pics! And I'm not seeing said blue ring.
Thanks. :) I showed them to my wife and she said "wow, you just shot that?"

The blue isn't so much a ring really... but if you look close right at the bottom of the moon (where light meets dark) you'll see a slight blue haze.

Most reactions

Back