More advice needed (pics) :)

Gregry254

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was at the gym with a mate and relaised there is a nice little river runs along side it, so went back to the car and grabbed the camera :)

Any advice/comments on the pictures would be a real help!

It is obvious what is wrong with this photo but, it was taken at f/22, iso 100 and only 1 second shutter speed, have I missed something, or is it just impossible to get the motion of the water with this much light?
DSC_0018.jpg

This was the path that lead to the river, any advice for next time?
DSC_0040.jpg

As above, but one specific tree on the path.
DSC_0043.jpg

I told my mate not to take the picture with the sun in view and not to cut me off . . . but this is what happens when you hand your camera to a know it all!
DSC_0057.jpg

Last edited:
To get the motion blur in the first picture without blowing it all out, you need to either shoot late in the day when the sun is not so bright, or get yourself some neutral density filters. In the middle of the day, you would want at a minimum a ND8. You had the right idea closing the aperture right up, but it was just to bright out to get what you wanted.

It is obvious what is wrong with this photo but, it was taken at f/22, iso 100 and only 1 second shutter speed, have I missed something, or is it just impossible to get the motion of the water with this much light?
Correct, it is impossible.

You need to put Neutral Density (ND) filter on the lens to reduce the light getting into the lens.

Guess ill try shooting after the gym next time, see if I cant catch it when its a little darker :)

Any ideas about others?

#1, you need a neutral density filter. it cuts the amount of light down so you can use longer exposures. you could also try well into dusk. you would get the benefit of the great light you can get at dusk too that would really make the water have great color and texture

#2. honestly? I see a dull path. there's nothing you are telling people to focus on, no interesting subject in the distance, no unique angle to give it something new and different. the same composition under different lighting would be better too. this is the type of scene where season matters too. the same trees with autumn leaves, flowers or snow covered just works better.

#3- more tree, less "other" this means getting closer.

Correct, it is impossible.

You need to put Neutral Density (ND) filter on the lens to reduce the light getting into the lens.

A CPL is also a decent thing to try when photographing water. The one I use is about 2 to 2 1/3 stops of light lost.

Here's an example of f/22, ISO 100, 15sec exposure at about 6:30-7 am (the EXIF says 4am, which I guarantee isn't right). Sometimes you just have to wait until the right time of day.

My 2 cents...

Well... The first one was way overexposed for my limited PP skills...

But I through a quick edit on the secong one. I thought, something like this?

DSC_0040.jpg

The third and fourth don't really inspire me...

But number 5 is a pretty good idea... I might have focuse more on the backgoung or adjusted the DoF...

Perhaps a little adjustment of the white balance and color enhancement? Something like...

DSC_0050-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back