More Drama this time

RedWylder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so after my last post, I was told not to be so hesitant with my edits and that I didn't have to be "truthful" with how the scene actually looked. So with a little editing I've changed this:

Ancedit8 by RedWylder, on Flickr

to this:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Better? Or too much?

Yup, its was better. Great Job :) may i ask what software you are using to edit this picture?

Looks like all you did was darken the top third of the image. The mountains in the distance seem too dark now.

Better compared to the first one. However, if I may assess the original photo, I guess you did not use a CPL and a GND filter. The reflection from the frozen water is a tad too much and the sky is blown out. For landscapes like this one, I would suggest investing on a good CPL and GND filter so that you can control the exposure of the sky and the reflection coming from the frozen water.

Regarding the improved version, I downloaded the original photo from flickr and found out that the mountains on the backgound has a beautiful blue hue. That was lost in the improved version. The dead grass on the foreground also has a nice color. If you could just bring the color of the dead grass back to life, that would give accent to the foreground.

Just my take. You have a pretty landscape here. Spruce it up a bit by adjusting the white balance, then play around with the Nik Software using the Polarising and Gradual Neutral Density effects and you have a winner.

Regards

Mel

Additonal info: You also have some barrel distortion. This may have been caused using a wide angle lens at the lowest focal length and shooting higher than the horizon. The sides seem to drop a little. You could lessen this by shooting low on the ground and using the middle point of your lens's focal lengths. But you can correct this with Lens Correction in CS5

Last edited:
It's better, but just a tad too much if you ask me.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still reaaallly new to photo editing (and photography in general) so I do a lot of trial and error. For those who asked, all editing was done in light room and I only have the trial version right now. I've only got 10 days more before that runs out and then I'll be out of luck for a while until I can afford to buy it. Anyways- Stryker, would you mind showing me what you mean? How would you edit this photo? It would help me a ton to see this as I'm very visual and don't learn all that well from reading manuals and such.

Oh and you mentioned playing with the Nikon software- I know what a polarizer is but not that neutral density thing-a-ma-bob. Care to enlighten me? Would lightroom be able to make all these changes? If I can work with the picture in one editing program that would be super.

Its Nik Software, not Nikon. Its a plugin to complement the Photoshop CS5 and adds a ton of effects for all fields you love to shoot.

Neutral Density (ND) filters allows you to control the light going through the camera even when shooting at mid day. You can also delay the shutter speed depending on the number of stops or how dark the filter is. The higher the number, the darker the filter, the longer your exposure. Gradual Neutral Density (GND) filters are commonly used in landscapes to control the exposure on a part of the photo, in your case, the sky and the water. There are many uses of these filters and if you are going to shoot landscapes, you shouldnt leave home without them. One of the best ND is the B+W brand. For GND, I recommend the Lee brand. If its ok with you, I could post your photo processed on Nik Software.

Cheers and warm regards from Manila

Mel

I love your photo so I did some editing and this is what I have. Please note that the jpeg file in your flickr account is a bit small already thus the pixeling. But you'll see the difference. Please note also I adjusted the barrel distortion to level the horizon.

Thanks for allowing me to edit the lovely photo.

5558179356_db9ea8502a_o.jpg

Last edited:
So with this Nik plugin thing, do you think getting lightroom is still a good idea? I'll be building a computer this summer and will get all the programs I need then.

Thanks for the edit! I see what you mean about keeping the blues in the mountains.

I seldom use Lightroom, only when doing tethered shots. I open my photos in Bridge, do some clarity, fill light, and recovery adjustments, then finish it off in Photoshop CS5.

You may download your photo here: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5144/5560449116_8ca0f8ac4d.jpg

In case you havent noticed, I placed your name on the rock, right side of the photo since its your shot.

LOL! I didn't notice my name but now I see it! I can't seem to get that link to work. You said you open in Bridge---what's that?

LOL! I didn't notice my name but now I see it! I can't seem to get that link to work. You said you open in Bridge---what's that?

When I got my Photoshop CS5, it came with Bridge. Its similar to Ligthroom but I find it better. When I click the "open" icon, it opens CS5.

and thanks, C C. Appreciate it a lot.

Regards

Mel

I'm such a noob-can't figure out how to download it either. Pfft.

Most reactions

Back