More fun with primes (first shots with new 30mm f/1.4) C&C

Neiby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I absolutely love my 50mm 1.4. It is truly amazing, but I have run into a few situations where it was a little too tight on my crop body. After asking around a bit--and checking my budget--I picked up a new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 that I like a lot. It's not as amazing as the Canon 50mm 1.4, but it's a good lens. Here are a few shots from my first session with this new lens. As usual, composition is my weakest point, but I'm sure there are plenty of technical issues here, too. In general, I think I run my lenses too wide open. I could have set these shots at f/2.2 or so, maybe even tighter, and still gotten the effect I was looking for with just a bit more clarity. I tend to set my depth of field too small because I get caught up in the novelty of it. It was already late in the day when we started and it was getting a bit dark by the time I took #3, hence the high ISO.

#1 f/1.6, ISO 200, 1/640 sec.

20111010-IMG_5367 by jneiberger2002, on Flickr

#2 f/1.4, ISO 320, 1/400 sec.

20111010-IMG_5411 by jneiberger2002, on Flickr

#3 f/1.4, ISO 800, 1/500 sec.

20111010-IMG_5427 by jneiberger2002, on Flickr

I think the composition is good in the first one. The rim light is nice but maybe a fill flash from the left would have made her pop.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

DOF looks well-placed in all three shots.

I agree, the eyes seem perfectly in focus. However, the face could use a touch more light, as i feel the first and third are underexposed.

I had some flashes with me, but since we were out walking around I didn't take my light stand or tripod with us. I agree that I could have used that as an opportunity to try some fill flash stuff. I have flashes and I still haven't used them! I also had a reflector with me that probably could have been used better, but it was starting to get pretty dark by the time these pictures were taken, so the flash would have been better.

There were one or two others I should have posted. I would love to get your opinion on the composition. I still tend to leave too much empty space in the photo sometimes. I can spot it when other people do it, but it's harder for me to spot when it's my own photo. Since you have so much experience with primes, I value your opinion. I'll track one of those others down and post it to see what you think.

Derrel, here's one I wasn't sure about. You had given me some really good guidance and suggestions on my last "Fun with primes" thread, especially with regard to a photo where I left way too much space to the left of the subject (and also had a car in the background!). In this one, I didn't leave quite as much. I was trying to capture the neat background "canopy" that was framing her. I think it works, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

20111010-IMG_5419 by jneiberger2002, on Flickr

I like the photos, but you clipped the top of her head in #'s 2 &3. As for too much space, you could shoot in portrait orientation.

I like the photos, but you clipped the top of her head in #'s 2 &3. As for too much space, you could shoot in portrait orientation.

Crud! I should have paid more attention. Oh well, that just means I need to take more pictures! :) I did shoot several in portrait orientation, but didn't post them. Here is one in the same place that was portrait...and I cut off her left foot. :( This is just a goofy throw-away picture that I snapped while she was goofing off. Other than cutting off her left foot, I like how it turned out so I kept it.

20111010-IMG_5418 by jneiberger2002, on Flickr

Crud! I should have paid more attention. Oh well, that just means I need to take more pictures! :) I did shoot several in portrait orientation, but didn't post them. Here is one in the same place that was portrait...and I cut off her left foot. :( This is just a goofy throw-away picture that I snapped while she was goofing off. Other than cutting off her left foot, I like how it turned out so I kept it.

I like that one, most notably it's playful nature. As you said, it would have been better to pan down a bit, you could have gotten her foot in frame and removed some of the over-ample space over her head, but I still like it. I have the same type of problems, I get excited or in a hurry and forget to pay attention to some detail or another only to notice it after the fact.

Nice.. did you buy it on CL? I saw one about a week ago. I have the 20mm and I love it.

Nice.. did you buy it on CL? I saw one about a week ago. I have the 20mm and I love it.

I bought it new. I would have preferred to buy it used locally so I could try it out first, so it was a bit of a risk. It was my first non-Canon lens and I was worried about it. I'm very glad I got it. My 50mm is just too tight for many situations on my 60D, so the 30mm will be very useful. They really are very different lenses, though. I need more practice with both to find the best uses and situations for each. I'm such a noob. The more I shoot, the less I feel like I know!

if you are outdoor, I would stick with the 50mm though.

Very nice lens. It makes me wonder why I spent this much money on a 35L.

if you are outdoor, I would stick with the 50mm though.

Very nice lens. It makes me wonder why I spent this much money on a 35L.

Yeah, in open spaces I think the 50mm might be a better option. I guess I only need the 30mm for portraits when I don't have enough room to back up far enough. It is so tight, though! But holy cow, is it nice.

Most reactions

Back