More image mis-use/abuse - input on how to proceed?

I don't think I've ever seen any written thanks or acknowledgement given to the photographer... if anything I've seen an acknowledgement/thanks to a sponsor, etc. But if an acknowledgement is given, that's not a standard photo credit, that's someone with the event for whatever reason giving kudos to such 'n such photography. In my experience in sports and events they care about results, they don't give a rat's patootie how you got the pictures...

To be more serious, as a photographer when I did local hockey I knew that what I did was valued, I just wouldn't expect the photographer to get acknowledgement in promotions etc.

It's not unheard of to ask for a line credit in charity work, especially with things like the banner. "Image courtesy of John's Photography" or similar, but my personal position is that a donation is a donation, not a trade.

It's not unheard of to ask for a line credit in charity work, especially with things like the banner. "Image courtesy of John's Photography" or similar, but my personal position is that a donation is a donation, not a trade.

Curious how do you handle copyright information in the metadata?

I embed "Copyright, John's Photography, <Year>" and that's about it. There are so many applications for hacking/editing metadata that to me, it seems rather pointless, but I do it because....

I embed "Copyright, John's Photography, <Year>" and that's about it. There are so many applications for hacking/editing metadata that to me, it seems rather pointless, but I do it because....

I can't remember all the fields available, but I wonder if you might want to consider including phone number and/or email, considering your previous experience.

It looks like you received a nice "mea culpa," and an apology here from them, so that should make you feel a little better. Nice job.

As a former card-carrying member of the National Press Photographers Associaton (NPPA) I feel your pain. Nonetheless, customers who receive a donated service including photography will not think much of passing your photo(s) along to another group. During my time at Kodak, my team developed the software that many news agencies still use today to browse and read the ANPA/IPTC data on photos they use for publishing. Today, it's called META data, but the purpose is still the same -- it allows photographers to insert their copyrights, slugs, and information into all of their photos before they send it to the client.

If you do not do this with your photos now, might I suggest a more pragmatic method: You should also have a PDF file that is always sent with all your photos to any client which states your images are intended for " XXXXXXXXX " use. Any additional use of these photo(s) will require written permission from ( your name/company name ) and additional licensing cost(s) may apply depending on such use. You include this PDF with every single shoot you do for any client whether it's a freebie or a paid gig. No exceptions. Be sure to list your photographer's website, email and contact photo so it's obvious how one will contact you. Doing this for all photo assignments in the future will help you protect your work.

We are BETA testing a new web app utility called SMOOSHIE that takes your copyright data and inserts ANPA/IPTC (metadata) into 360 JPEG panoramas. If anyone is interested in test driving the software, let me know. It's free. The tags you add to your panoramas are read by any photo cataloging, image editing program that can read ANPA/IPTC (metadata) from the JPEG files. It's not available for standard HD photos yet, but that feature is planned to be added later in October.

I don't think I've ever seen any written thanks or acknowledgement given to the photographer... if anything I've seen an acknowledgement/thanks to a sponsor, etc. But if an acknowledgement is given, that's not a standard photo credit, that's someone with the event for whatever reason giving kudos to such 'n such photography. In my experience in sports and events they care about results, they don't give a rat's patootie how you got the pictures...

To be more serious, as a photographer when I did local hockey I knew that what I did was valued, I just wouldn't expect the photographer to get acknowledgement in promotions etc.

Hi, Sharon,

It's not cut-and-dried. I worked for a Fortune 1000 firm in the computer-aided engineering field. We used client's imagery and purchased (e.g. Getty or similar) photos. As a graphic designer, I was required to include a credit in most cases. We had to make the credits visible and legible while being as minimally distracting as possible (for web work, we had a special font we used that was designed to remaining legible at tiny sizes).

As an image producer, you get a credit if you specify that a credit is required for use. As a graphic designer, it was nice to work with images that didn't require one--not all did, but they were the exceptions in my work. I don't know how common this is in general.

Not quite sure I get the reference Tim...

Sorry, on this side of the pond he's still regarded as one of the most successful US diplomats.
D'ohhhhhhhhh... of course. Clearly I was not sufficiently caffeinated when forming my earlier response.

Nice to hear that all worked out.
Do you get a credit on the images now?
Thanks! No, I've not asked for credit.

In my experience charities are pretty good at asking for permissions because they have to do it all the time, so it's not surprising they behaved appropriately. I'm sure you have done it but I would ask them where they got it from and who gave them the permission to use it because if it's in for eg a stock library it could happen again. My beef would not be with the charity but whoever gave it to them, regardless of how innocent their intention was. Great pic btw.

In my experience charities are pretty good at asking for permissions because they have to do it all the time, so it's not surprising they behaved appropriately. I'm sure you have done it but I would ask them where they got it from and who gave them the permission to use it because if it's in for eg a stock library it could happen again. My beef would not be with the charity but whoever gave it to them, regardless of how innocent their intention was. Great pic btw.
Unfortunately, there's been of a staff turn-over that finding out who goofed is unlikely, but the director is now aware, so all good. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back