Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As some of you know, in addition to Wounded Warriors Canada, I do a lot of work for Vancouver Island Compassion Dogs, a charity which provides registered PTSD service dogs to Veterans who need them. Last year I create this image which they have used to thank the dozens of sponsors and supporters:

VICD.jpg

This year, they've had a first; a husband and wife Veteran couple have both graduated the program, each with their own service dog from VICD. VICD now wants to update the thank-you image and use this couple with their service dogs. Critical elements are: They image needs to show them as a couple, NOT simply a man and woman, each with a service dog, and the "you made this possible" message needs to be conveyed as well.

So....... what I am hoping for from the artistic and talented folks at TPF are suggestions on various poses that will accomplish this. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but because this is a fairly complicated image to craft, I'm hoping for as many ideas as possible. The great thing about working with service animals of course is that they're so well trained they will do almost anything asked of them...

Thanks!!!

Pose the humans standing close, with their respective dogs at their sides opposite.

Dog, human, human, dog.

Sort of limited on the options, I like the above ideas, but your original was pretty hard to beat. What about a variation? Have the couple side by side kneeling on one knee, facing camera, with head bowed as if in prayer. Alternate knees so the outside knee is up. One arm resting on knee with hand palm up. One dog on each side slightly angled at a little over 3/4 view, facing couple with one paw on upright palm of their master, as if comforting them? You could also angle the couple away from center line toward their dogs to form a symbolic "V" that unites with the couple. Just my opinion but I believe that to truly connect with children and dogs, its necessary to get down to their level.

Pose the humans standing close, with their respective dogs at their sides opposite.

Dog, human, human, dog.
Definitely; I'm having trouble visualizing it without enough emotional impact though....

To add to Designer's suggestion, have them holding hands with their hands raised in a " victory " posture.
I like that!

Sort of limited on the options, I like the above ideas, but your original was pretty hard to beat. What about a variation? Have the couple side by side kneeling on one knee, facing camera, with head bowed as if in prayer. Alternate knees so the outside knee is up. One arm resting on knee with hand palm up. One dog on each side slightly angled at a little over 3/4 view, facing couple with one paw on upright palm of their master, as if comforting them? You could also angle the couple away from center line toward their dogs to form a symbolic "V" that unites with the couple. Just my opinion but I believe that to truly connect with children and dogs, its necessary to get down to their level.
Interesting.... one thing I want to avoid is this year's image simply looking like a rework of last year's with another person and dog added in. You're right about getting down to their level though; that is critical!

I think your image in the OP is a fine example. I would not re-invent the wheel here sir. You just have to incorporate the emotion you displayed x 2. You are a good man. Personally, I think your over thinking it.

Last year's photo is great. Simpler can be better, I like the idea of the two for this year posed next to each other so it's obvious they're a couple. Maybe more than one, them standing with both dogs to either side, or dogs in the front, etc. I'd keep it upbeat, they've accomplished something and probably put time and effort into it and this should celebrate that.

I think your image in the OP is a fine example. I would not re-invent the wheel here sir. You just have to incorporate the emotion you displayed x 2. You are a good man. Personally, I think your over thinking it.
Thanks man, appreciate that! :) I guess we'll see what comes out of it...

Last year's photo is great. Simpler can be better, I like the idea of the two for this year posed next to each other so it's obvious they're a couple. Maybe more than one, them standing with both dogs to either side, or dogs in the front, etc. I'd keep it upbeat, they've accomplished something and probably put time and effort into it and this should celebrate that.
Upbeat is critical for sure. Simpler might be better!

This is a bit different from your original but... what if you have the couple sitting on a loveseat or small couch (or bench if you’re shooting it outdoors again), side by side with his arm around her shoulders and her leaning in a bit - almost like an engagement shoot then have the dogs lying at their feet?

Thanks Sharon, my feeling is that different is good. I want this image to be visually distinct from its predecessor. I like the loveseat idea... the dogs laying at their feet however isn't ideal as it won't show the connection between the dog and its human.

So, building on Sharon's idea above, what I'm thinking as one option is: One person on the couch with their dog, paws up on the arm doing a "calm", the other person seated on the floor, leaning against the legs of the first person, with their dog's head on their lap... how say you?

one thing I want to avoid is this year's image simply looking like a rework of last year's with another person and dog added in.

Sitting on ground side by side. You could either put the dogs on each side with their masters arm around them, or have the people sitting cross legged and the dogs with their heads in laps.

Thanks Sharon, my feeling is that different is good. I want this image to be visually distinct from its predecessor. I like the loveseat idea... the dogs laying at their feet however isn't ideal as it won't show the connection between the dog and its human.

Can the dogs lay on the couch with heads and shoulders on the human’s laps? I don’t know anything about therapy dog so I’m not really sure what is a good pose/connection and what isn’t as far as that goes.

Possibly; each dog/person has their own "Calm" motion, however most generally involve paws or head on their humans upper torso.

Man sitting facing right somewhat like in original. His dog standing facing him (somewhat like original. His hand on dogs face / head area.
Lady sitting, knees to side , leaning against man with her head on / resting against his shoulder, (All depends on their height) her arm closest to him perhaps resting on his arm (Think curled around a bit, just seeing her hand on top) Her dog laying down (in front of man's dog, but laying down would be lower so both dogs clearly seen) with it's head on her lap. Her arm closest to camera under dogs chin.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back