Posing Suggestions - image a little out of the ordinary

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tirediron, Mar 10, 2019.

1. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    As some of you know, in addition to Wounded Warriors Canada, I do a lot of work for Vancouver Island Compassion Dogs, a charity which provides registered PTSD service dogs to Veterans who need them. Last year I create this image which they have used to thank the dozens of sponsors and supporters:

[​IMG]

This year, they've had a first; a husband and wife Veteran couple have both graduated the program, each with their own service dog from VICD. VICD now wants to update the thank-you image and use this couple with their service dogs. Critical elements are: They image needs to show them as a couple, NOT simply a man and woman, each with a service dog, and the "you made this possible" message needs to be conveyed as well.

So....... what I am hoping for from the artistic and talented folks at TPF are suggestions on various poses that will accomplish this. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but because this is a fairly complicated image to craft, I'm hoping for as many ideas as possible. The great thing about working with service animals of course is that they're so well trained they will do almost anything asked of them...

Thanks!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Pose the humans standing close, with their respective dogs at their sides opposite.

Dog, human, human, dog.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch Always looking... Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To add to Designer's suggestion, have them holding hands with their hands raised in a " victory " posture.

• Like Like x 3
  4. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sort of limited on the options, I like the above ideas, but your original was pretty hard to beat. What about a variation? Have the couple side by side kneeling on one knee, facing camera, with head bowed as if in prayer. Alternate knees so the outside knee is up. One arm resting on knee with hand palm up. One dog on each side slightly angled at a little over 3/4 view, facing couple with one paw on upright palm of their master, as if comforting them? You could also angle the couple away from center line toward their dogs to form a symbolic "V" that unites with the couple. Just my opinion but I believe that to truly connect with children and dogs, its necessary to get down to their level.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Definitely; I'm having trouble visualizing it without enough emotional impact though....

I like that!

Interesting.... one thing I want to avoid is this year's image simply looking like a rework of last year's with another person and dog added in. You're right about getting down to their level though; that is critical!

6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think your image in the OP is a fine example. I would not re-invent the wheel here sir. You just have to incorporate the emotion you displayed x 2. You are a good man. Personally, I think your over thinking it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Last year's photo is great. Simpler can be better, I like the idea of the two for this year posed next to each other so it's obvious they're a couple. Maybe more than one, them standing with both dogs to either side, or dogs in the front, etc. I'd keep it upbeat, they've accomplished something and probably put time and effort into it and this should celebrate that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks man, appreciate that! :) I guess we'll see what comes out of it...

Upbeat is critical for sure. Simpler might be better!

9. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is a bit different from your original but... what if you have the couple sitting on a loveseat or small couch (or bench if you’re shooting it outdoors again), side by side with his arm around her shoulders and her leaning in a bit - almost like an engagement shoot then have the dogs lying at their feet?

• Like Like x 1
  10. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Sharon, my feeling is that different is good. I want this image to be visually distinct from its predecessor. I like the loveseat idea... the dogs laying at their feet however isn't ideal as it won't show the connection between the dog and its human.

11. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    So, building on Sharon's idea above, what I'm thinking as one option is: One person on the couch with their dog, paws up on the arm doing a "calm", the other person seated on the floor, leaning against the legs of the first person, with their dog's head on their lap... how say you?

• Like Like x 2
  12. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Sitting on ground side by side. You could either put the dogs on each side with their masters arm around them, or have the people sitting cross legged and the dogs with their heads in laps.

• Like Like x 1