More Indoor Arena Racing

jmthompson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jmthompsonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks to the advice I received here, I tried some panning with my motocross shots at the indoor arena racing today. It is definitely going to take some more practice, but it was fun to try something different, and once I figure it out, I think my customers are going to very happy with the results! It was only about 30 degrees (if that!) in the arena today, and all my layers and gloves made mobility kind of challenging, but I stuck it out for about six hours and was able to get a few panning shots I was happy with (between the races I actually had to shoot).

473822969_pJiCd-L.jpg

473823116_ixGea-L.jpg

473823338_YnxCW-L.jpg

473823582_2cjRo-L.jpg

This one isn't panning, but it is for one of my best customers who I am doing a book for. Her grandson wrecked at the beginning of the season, and this is the first jump he has tried since, so I was pretty happy that I was able to get it. It's not too high, but I was hoping by cropping, it would give the illusion of being a little higher! I think I will use it for my cover unless I come up with a better one at the last race of the season.
473822762_LF84F-L.jpg

I couldn't get the second-curtain sync set on my flash, but when I got back home and actually checked the manual, I had been setting it wrong (have never tried it before) so I will try that piece of advice next time!

Thanks again! :D

Hi

Great series. I especially like the 2nd last shot. I'm no photoshop pro but if the background of the last shot was blurred that might also help giving the impression the jump was higher than you stated.

Great shots..

The flash on second curtain would have made them a lot better, it takes a few goes at panning to get them right don't rush them try and be as smooth as possible, each time they will get better

These are much better. Congrats. Keep it up, your customers are going to be very happy.

Thanks so much everyone! I shot with the second curtain flash and practiced panning for a little while at basketball last night ~ they're getting a little better but it is going to take some practice! I have until the races next month, so I should be able to get it down by then!! :D

I am a total noob when it comes to digital but I have been racing bikes for 28 years. As far as the last pick goes, I would recommend a better pic for the cover. It is not your photo, it's the riders body positioning that takes away from the photo.

It seems that 61 isn't going to be going too big for a while. What I would do is find a nice bowl turn and get down low and see if you can get a good shot of him entering the corner in the attack position (standing with knees gripping the bike, elbows up and head over the handlebars) and try to get a shot of his eyes.

I have taken a lot of pictures of mx races and I can tell you this much, the intensity in a racers eyes tells an amazing story.

just my two cents

I think all of your panning shots are better than your last one! I have never tried panning but I tell you, these already work better than your last one for me! Especially the second last! Well done, awesome colors as well!

Thanks so much for your comments on a shot for my book cover! I have another race coming up on Saturday, so I will camp out for a bit on a corner and try for a shot, and see if I can get close enough to see his eyes. I also plan on working more on that panning!

I know its rough with low light indoors. But you need to use a faster shutter speed if you can. Outdoor races during the day, I use (about) f/08-11, 1/250 ISO 400-800 with the 70-200, that would be a good range to start playing with and adjust to your liking.

I know its rough with low light indoors. But you need to use a faster shutter speed if you can. Outdoor races during the day, I use (about) f/08-11, 1/250 ISO 400-800 with the 70-200, that would be a good range to start playing with and adjust to your liking.

While I agree that you need a slightly faster shutter speed, 1/250 is way too fast for panning, unless your subject is a race car going by at 200+ mph. These were taken at 1/80th...

Panning just takes a little practice. One thing you have to remember when panning pics of jumping bikes....they are traveling in an arc, not a straight side-to-side motion, so you have to learn to pan with them.

AC6.jpg

AC4.jpg

AC3.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back