• Usenet/Various Authors: PNG

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Gavjenks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What actual file extension do you use for editing (I.e. what is the final format your images are in most often when you go to actually open them up in an image editor?):

EDIT: I made it multiple choice instead of which one do you use MOST for editing

So just which ones do you ever use for editing? Seems like it would be more interesting of results that way.

Don't check a box if you've only ever used it like 3 times. Check formats that you use with some reasonable regularity.

(and please excuse couple of typos. E.g. should be joint photographic experts group, not professionals)

Last edited:
TIFF, but that is specifically because I don't much like the RAW converter that pops up when I ask GIMP to edit a .NEF file. No idea what it is, it's not GIMP, it's something. Don't like it, don't care. ViewNX2 will convert to TIFF for me, so that's what I do.

TIFF, but that is specifically because I don't much like the RAW converter that pops up when I ask GIMP to edit a .NEF file. No idea what it is, it's not GIMP, it's something. Don't like it, don't care. ViewNX2 will convert to TIFF for me, so that's what I do.

You can set a default editor for raw files. You should be able to set it for VNX2.

I import the photos from the flash memory card to LR, and then do all the editing there. Even if I need to use PS or another 3rd party add-on editor, it launches from LR. So technically, everything still from RAW (from camera). Once everything is done, if I need to send the image to a printer, upload them to online site or provide them to my client (mostly product photos), I will export them as jpeg.

Lol, 3 people responded to the thread before I could finish that massive poll.

Tiff, which is what I output from either Canon DPP or Adobe ACR (starting with a CR2 raw). I save the tiff separately, and as soon as I make some edits in PS, I save that as a psd file. That way I always have a completely unedited raw, a tiff with just the conversion edits (sometimes pretty extensive) and the psd, usually with adjustment layers so the background layer is pretty much identical to the tiff.

Editors or raw converters or do you consider a raw converter an editor?

I consider it an editor if it actually edits the content of the photo, not just converting.

Do we seriously need ANOTHER thread on this topic?

Everybody loves a massive poll.

$I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Where is the bacon?

Seriously why can't I shoot in bacon mode!

(yes this is an open challenge to film photographers - I want to see bacon negatives!)

What? You didn't list PCX?
:mrgreen:

More "meaningful"???? Don't you mean simply "longer, and more-tedious"? There's zero meaning to this poll.

Especially with no bacon option.

Most reactions

Back